LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

1.5 drop. What long tubes can I get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 12:34 PM

1.5 drop. What long tubes can I get?

I want long tubes, but a friend of mine thinks I will have clearance issues since my car is dropped 1.5 inches with 18s on them with 245/40/18s. What long tube can I get without clearance issues? Give me what you think the prices are too.

My twin put Hooker Mid lengths and hot cam on his 93 LT. I think I can take him if I just put some long tubes headers on. I will eventually do the cam, but not for another 2 months. I think he may have got a 50 power horse gain which should put him at 325 and that's basically where I think I'm at with the current mods. An extra 20 to 25 should put me on top again.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:25 PM

From what I hear, not experience (looking for LT's myself), SLP's pose definite ground clearance problems on lowered f-body's. Commonly supported choices though are Hookers, FLP's, Grot's/TR's. I think for the future I will be getting myself a set of FLP's and get the car lowered an inch in the SLP level one suspension system.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:50 PM

Just a word of caution, I know this is off topic, but beware about getting the SLP level one suspension kit. It seems like a good deal, but the products are all GM made and not much different from stock (sway, control arms, parhard rod) and my car did not lower very well with that kit. I got about 3" of drop in the rear and less than 1" in the front. SLP made recommendations, all of which I followed and they have not made any difference, those damn springs are defective or something. SLP is not being helpful about the matter and tell me that the car is supposed to look that way?? Not likely! Anyhow, I am going to order a new set of Eibachs in the spring. I would stress that you may want to get the items seperate, they may cost more, but speaking from experience, SLP is not helpful, their products are not worth the $, and you can get better by ordering the items seperate for a noticeable, but worthwhile, difference in price. Just thought I would give you a heads up.
Jennifer
Old 01-15-2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by J99Z
Just a word of caution, I know this is off topic, but beware about getting the SLP level one suspension kit. It seems like a good deal, but the products are all GM made and not much different from stock (sway, control arms, parhard rod) and my car did not lower very well with that kit. I got about 3" of drop in the rear and less than 1" in the front. SLP made recommendations, all of which I followed and they have not made any difference, those damn springs are defective or something. SLP is not being helpful about the matter and tell me that the car is supposed to look that way?? Not likely! Anyhow, I am going to order a new set of Eibachs in the spring. I would stress that you may want to get the items seperate, they may cost more, but speaking from experience, SLP is not helpful, their products are not worth the $, and you can get better by ordering the items seperate for a noticeable, but worthwhile, difference in price. Just thought I would give you a heads up.
Jennifer
I used DMS springs that gave me a 1.5 drop. 188 shipped.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:08 PM

I will be placing my order for some DMS springs this friday haven't heard any complaints about them yet
Old 01-15-2003, 08:39 PM

From what I have heard and seen, is that the QTP headers fit the best. The car I saw had a 2" drop (DAMNNNN) and the QTPs fit perfectly and he told me they have never hit anything. You could get them at www.quicktimeperformance.com eventually I plan on doing a 1.5 inch drop and going with the QTPs.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:42 PM

Also it isn't too bad to mention that the QTPs are supposed to be the best header out there. Good luck with your decision
Old 01-15-2003, 08:44 PM

Nice color choice too
Looks like we have similar plans with our cars, according to your sig.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:09 PM

I must agree, great choice of color and of springs!! I too have the DMS springs and I'm running the SLP LT's as well. The only clearance issues i have are with speed bumps; you'll get good at crossing them at an angle. So far though, the roughest roads here in El Paso haven't posed a problem (yet). The power gains with the 3" Y-pipe from SOTP is remarkable, I can take the wife's 355HP T/A now from standing through all the gears! Just another choice.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by 2002 NBM Bird
From what I have heard and seen, is that the QTP headers fit the best. The car I saw had a 2" drop (DAMNNNN) and the QTPs fit perfectly and he told me they have never hit anything. You could get them at www.quicktimeperformance.com eventually I plan on doing a 1.5 inch drop and going with the QTPs.
I am going to do a search on QTPs and see what the general consesus is.
Thanks
Old 01-16-2003, 10:23 AM

While your searching QTP, you might as well look up Grott, QTP is the Grott design, but under new management because the old guy couldn't run a business for his life, but these new QTPs seems to be doing well. If you do a search on LS1tech.com also you'll read some great reviews on them also. I've read a lot of bad posts about pretty much every header, but the QTPs I haven't read 1 bad post. Everyone sais they are the best, so I am going to agree with everyone else and say they are the best, thats why i'll be going with them when I get my tax return
Old 01-16-2003, 12:00 PM

I agree...SLP could pose clearance problems. I have heard good things about Hookers and FLPs (in terms of ground clearances).

I don't know much about QTPs, however if they're the Grott design..then they're bound to be very good. Grott, back at one point, were the headers to get, great quality and awesome gains..however getting those headers was the problem. Many complained about that company back then (plus the price was outrageous..then again, they were one of the firsts to put out the long tubes for us). Keep us posted on which you choose.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:18 PM

thats the best part, now they are readily available. Roger Grottyhan has gone out of business and QTP bought them out, from what I heard they are just as easy to order like every other header out there. Good luck with your decision, my opinion on headers is that this is the most important mod to buy for an M6 and 2nd for an A4 next to a TC. But then again this is my opinion
Old 01-16-2003, 04:20 PM

hmmm DMS springs, never heard of those, i'll have to take a look....I've read too many Eibach sagging stories.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by 2002 NBM Bird
hmmm DMS springs, never heard of those, i'll have to take a look....I've read too many Eibach sagging stories.
Check out the huge thread in the GP section about our springs.

Also here is a link to our springs page: http://www.dynamicmotorsports.com/DMS%20Springs.htm

A link to some reviews/comments on our springs: http://www.dynamicmotorsports.com/Springs%20reivews.htm

Any questions, feel free to ask