LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

$ 5000 To Play With

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Retired

Re: $ 5000 To Play With

Originally Posted by siggs229
What about the rear , wont it blow up with all extra power ?? How weak is the rear in my car ??

Rob

The rear is a 10-bolt with a 7.5" ring gear, which is terribly weak. When you add sticky tires to it, it might last anywhere from 1 - 100 launches. Kind of a toss-up.

Personally, I'd save the money and not just dump it into your car unless the money is completely disposable.

Mike
Old 06-17-2005, 09:34 AM

Best bang for the buck is a power adder.

STS was already mentioned. Those setups are running real strong!
Along with any supercharger setups. Vortec, Powerdyne, etc...
Old 06-17-2005, 05:01 PM

What about the rear , wont it blow up with all extra power ?? How weak is the rear in my car ??

Rob
bottom line is you want to really go fast beyond any need to, its going to cost more than $5k. like mentioned above, get dr's and a little too much power and you are likely to kill the rear, (although they are not made of glass)
ok, you just replaced the rear, dump more money into the engine, ok now can you stop with excessive brake fade? add brakes(usually a later mod) now your tranny, etc. theirs a certain line you have to decide if you have the want and/or $$$ to cross it.
also quotes on here will vary as many here do their own work. i barely have the willpower to change my wiper-blades, so figure in labor. TEKE184 mentioned something to me i didnt believe; "whatever your project budget is, double it!" i found out the hard way he was right. nothing usually goes as planned. good luck
Old 06-18-2005, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kraest
The rear is a 10-bolt with a 7.5" ring gear, which is terribly weak. When you add sticky tires to it, it might last anywhere from 1 - 100 launches. Kind of a toss-up.

Personally, I'd save the money and not just dump it into your car unless the money is completely disposable.

Mike

I guess your the angel on the right side of my shoulder talking. What am I supposed to do with the other guy wispering in the other ear ??? Hard to make up my mind. Thanks for all the SUGGESTIONS SO FAR !!!
Old 06-18-2005, 08:50 AM

i snapped my axle with stock power, and a spec 3 clutch and 245 nittos... there weak as hell.... reason i have strange 12 bolt with 4.10 now
Old 06-18-2005, 01:55 PM

Thats alot to play with at once. I would get a good head and cam combo, a 12 bolt rear end, a fuel pump, injecters, full exhaust, intake, lid, some micky thompson drag dradials and then a tune.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Heads, cam, valvetrain, headers, cat-back, wideband O2 and tuning software. If you look around, you can stretch out that $5K pretty far. But, it will require you to do most of the work yourself. Enlist the help of a few friends and it can be fun...especially if one of your friends has a lift. That's how I'd do it.

Start calling speed shops in the sponsor section if you want specifics like price, parts, etc. Texas Speed would be a good one to start with.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:05 PM

LS1 cars have one of the best braking systems ever on a production vehicle. I'd say that's more of a final upgrade for when you get bored.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:50 AM

I wouldnt get a new rear end until it breaks.. my buddy put down 595.5 trq through the stock 10bolt with 4.10's, and i have heard stories about people breaking stock 10bolts with 4.10's on slicks once you have about 420-475...but i wouldnt replace it until it breaks.

I'd say
long tubes-true duals setup
BMR or SPOHN suspension upgrades:
Lower control arms,
relocating brackets,
BMR's Xtreme torque arm (very nice and comes with a crossmember), subframe connectors (box),
QA1(HAL) shocks,
and either BMR Lowering springs or stock springs off a V6 camaro/firebird(one of the best springs you can put on our cars for drag, have VERY sic weight transfer, there are some 9sec t/a's and camaros here using V6 springs on QA1's)
With this and some 11x17 ZR1's wrapped in nitto xDR's you'll be throwing some sic 60' times and at least low 12's..and you'll eat anything from a dig on the street

talk to me about the wheels/tires i can get you some REAL nice deals on them

I'm waiting for all the above suspension parts to come in and i'm putting in 4.10's (i have a m6) and i just cant wait
Old 06-23-2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Klypto
i snapped my axle with stock power, and a spec 3 clutch and 245 nittos... there weak as hell.... reason i have strange 12 bolt with 4.10 now
Dont listen to klypto he doesnt know how to drive/launch

seriously i wouldnt worry about the rearend until it does break. like i said, my buddy put down 595.5 through his stock 10bolt.. some break easy and some done but you have a 2002 so i would worry even less..plus you have like no miles on it so its basically a brand new 10bolt, you shouldnt have any problems unless you get slicks and 4.10s or start putting down over 450-500hp, but i honestly would not worry about it until it breaks
Old 06-23-2005, 11:00 AM

Thats kind of my problem . I dont know which way to go . My car is mint , loaded . Its never seen rain or snow .It only has 2800 on it i just paid it off and I should be receiving the title soon Its a M6 by the way . On one hand I want to just keep it and never drive it like I do now . Do you really think it will be worth something someday ?? Then on the other hand why not make it really fast and enjoy it everyday . Well thats where im at . I do have a strut tower brace , and was thinking SFC would help alot . I either want it done perfect on not at all , is the way im thinking . Its too bad that shop is in TX , im from NJ . I can do alot of the things myself , but not all . One last thing . Where do I find a good rear at a good price , 3.73 or 4.11 ???

Thanks for the suggestions eveyone . Keep them comming
If you're worried about that then a rear mount turbo would be your best bet. Just take off your stock catback and slap the system on.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:40 PM

I guess your the angel on the right side of my shoulder talking. What am I supposed to do with the other guy wispering in the other ear ??? Hard to make up my mind. Thanks for all the SUGGESTIONS SO FAR !!!
save a 1000 for yourself. spend the other 4000 on N2O(get a good kit, a MSD window switch and upgrade the fuel pump for peace of mind), also get a Moser or Strange 12 bolt(3.73's if you don't race that often, 4.10's if you do, or plan to do a lot of racing), a good clutch, and a good torque arm.

Last edited by slowpoke96z28; 06-23-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by evo.end3R
I wouldnt get a new rear end until it breaks.. my buddy put down 595.5 trq through the stock 10bolt with 4.10's, and i have heard stories about people breaking stock 10bolts with 4.10's on slicks once you have about 420-475...but i wouldnt replace it until it breaks.

I'd say
long tubes-true duals setup
BMR or SPOHN suspension upgrades:
Lower control arms,
relocating brackets,
BMR's Xtreme torque arm (very nice and comes with a crossmember), subframe connectors (box),
QA1(HAL) shocks,
and either BMR Lowering springs or stock springs off a V6 camaro/firebird(one of the best springs you can put on our cars for drag, have VERY sic weight transfer, there are some 9sec t/a's and camaros here using V6 springs on QA1's)
With this and some 11x17 ZR1's wrapped in nitto xDR's you'll be throwing some sic 60' times and at least low 12's..and you'll eat anything from a dig on the street

talk to me about the wheels/tires i can get you some REAL nice deals on them

I'm waiting for all the above suspension parts to come in and i'm putting in 4.10's (i have a m6) and i just cant wait
I have blisten shocks and ebach spring on it already . It sits pretty low right now . How much better are the other springs and shocks ? I have ZR1 rims with the stock eagle f1's what size are mine , I think 17x9.0 ??? I need bigger rims and tires 17x11 would be sweet . Tell me what deals you can get me on tires and rims and what to do with my old ones . There is only 2900 mls on them .

Thanks

Rob

Last edited by siggs229; 06-24-2005 at 04:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 AM

Well i was in the same situation as you, i had $5000 and this is what i am gettin, my car is goin into the shop next week.

ASP Pullies
Sub Frame Conn.
LCA's
PS Lt's w/ORY !Cats
Magnaflow Exhaust
NGK TR55 Plugs and wires
RAM Stage 2 Clutch
Mosar 9-inch Rear w/4.10 gears
Torque arm
Tune w/ LS1 Edit

How do guys think this setup will work
Old 06-24-2005, 12:53 PM

So do you have any plans for the car? You ever going to race it, or just have some nice power and never take it above 2000 rpms like most people around here?

I would take the time to research other people's cars, ls1tech.com and the sponsors. If I had 5 grand right now I would spend almost all of it on my drivetrain, but other people would spend it elsewhere. Best to search around a bit before you start shelling out greenbacks

Quick Reply: $ 5000 To Play With