General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Z28 fires but won't run

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:42 PM

Z28 fires but won't run

I have this z28 I've been working on, long story short I pulled the motor (from the bottom) to do some work and after re installing everything it will not run. I installed new longtube headers (no emission hook up) and did every gaskets along with new plugs wires and a brand new optispark. Now in the process of putting things together I realized the intake elbow was trashed and all cut up looking I still installed it without the clamp just so I could hook up the sensor and rule the sensor not being hooked up out. Along with that issue I also had to block off all the emissions and vacuum lines running to and from. I only blocked off the correlated hose that ran from the passenger side manifold and not the egr pump/valve itself. So my question is, would the car act up without the elbow and the rest of the intake hooked up? Or should I be looking at the egr pump/valve and block it off the rest of the way
Old 06-21-2017, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Re: Z28 fires but won't run

We went all through this problem two weeks ago, and you indicated you "solved it". Are we starting over again? Your questions about the "egr pump" have already been answered - as I explained, there is no "egr pump", and you seemed to understand.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...-885703/page2/
Old 06-21-2017, 05:28 PM

There has to be a egr valve. Right on the back of the intake drivers side, if im wrong correct me. I have the block off plate for it not installed. Aside from that, last week i had no spark, i figured that out and now it just fires with no startup and I smell gas coming from the exhaust under the car. Unless Thats just from it tuning over and over and over. Since my last post I put on a new opti and plugwires, after I did that I got spark, can hear it fire just no startup...
Old 06-21-2017, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Can you not understand.... you were calling it an "EGR pump". I explained to you in the other thread that there was no "eve pump", which you called it there. Many people confuse the AIR pump with part of the EGR system, so it's important that we use the correct terms. I explained all that to you in your earlier thread. Then you started calling it the "EGR pump". Yes, I know there's an "EGR valve" on the back of the intake. In fact, I posted Shoebox's photo of the EGR system in the other thread in the hope you could understand.

Do you even remember posting the other thread? Apparently I wasted my time trying to explain the answers to your questions, pointing out that you probably forgot to connect something when you reinstalled the engine from the bottom. You confirmed I was correct, noting that the Opti "small" (short?) harness was not plugged in, you discovered that and stated "Provlem (sic) solved".

Now you're starting over again, with no recognition of the earlier thread. No, in response to your PM, I don't want to sort this out one-on-one in a series of texts. Post here, and hope someone helps you. I've already spent a huge amount of effort trying to help you, and you apparently are ignoring EVERYTHING I told you. I'm done.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:53 PM

Ok, for one you have no reason to get a attitude for the simple face I'm just trying to get answers and not one time did i disrespect you, and apparently you're not getting my question, first post I made was about it not getting spark, for the third time I'm gonna explain this to you. Egr pump, valve, or whatever you want to call it, i said directly where it was, if youre such a guru at these camaros I would expect you to understand what i was talking about. you didn't even read this post, i was asking a few questions regarding the intake elbow, the egr valve, and the faint smell of gas and as to why the car just fires but wont actually turn on. Now if you wanna get a attitude I dont need your help I'll figure it out just like I've been, slowly but surely.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:54 PM

"Problem solved" meaning i got spark. Not that it was running.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:01 PM

You have spark at the plug side of the wire? Also, did you confirm you have firing order correct? I suppose you have fuel considering you are smelling it.

I would suggest looking up the service manual for your car to start checking sensors (using a multimeter) or purchase/make an ALDL cable to see what the computer is telling you. If there is a Check Engine light that would give you a starting point for the information you need to continue.

If you deleted the EGR, why haven't you put the block-off plate in place yet?