General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

The Worst Design Flaw in a Camaro!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 08:08 PM

The hump on the passengerside has been there since 83. I found the rattltttttleing noise when you hit bumps is the PLASTIC centercaps. My gripe would be how hard it is to change the #8 spark plug on the 96z with duel cats.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:21 AM

everyone has named all the gripes! none to name for me! heres a bump cause this thread is good to the people wanting to know what to look fro in fbodies
Old 06-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Eck

Alright alright, I've followed this thread for a while. It really cracks me up since all of it is so true. I've owned my Z28 for around 6 months now, and it does have its quirks. Here's my 2 cents.

1. The fuel gauage: The tank is really only half full when it reads 3/4, what the heck?

2. Washing the car usually leads to the inside of the door being wet.

3. The mysterious rear quarter panel dents, I've got like two of them.

4. The wicked slow power windows.

5. The useless cupholder.

6. The nice ash tray (change tray) that always loses my change under the shifter.

7. The sagging visor bands.

8. Engine work, UGH!

9. Friends always shut the doors by the windows, WTF are they doing?!

10. The window rattles if you don't open the door before you roll it up.

11. Shutting the door sounds like the window just exploded.

12. The rear defroster only works with the top 5 lines.

13. Where the hell is that rattle coming from?!

14. The hump of course, that kinda sucks.

15. Do those air vents above the steering wheel even blow anything?

16. Opening a wet hatch while the wind is blowing -- not a good idea.

17. The dash collects more dust than an Ionic Breeze.

18. The alarm would goes off everytime I lock the car. (had to disconnect the shock sensor)

Don't get me wrong, I love my car. All those things just add to its personality.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by chevyboy_z28
how about how dents just magically appear in the rear quarter panel?
I got those too, but maybe the fence I hit caused that.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:08 AM

OPTISPARKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK worst design of all time!!!!!

window motors. LS1 & LT1
changing number 8 spark plug. LS1 & LT1

everything else is very much bareable and worth it! Ive owned 5 4th gens and am pretty sure there will be more. these cars are the best on the streets and yall know it!
Old 06-15-2004, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by shoebox
Would rather listen to the exhaust note than turn on the stereo. I enjoy my "flawed" car.
I thought I was the only one who did this. My Wife thinks I am nuts. The sound of a V8 with nice deep exhaust.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by bunker
No the worst the design flaw has to be if you leave your driver's side window open in summer & you spray some windshield washer fluid, when the windshielf wiper wipes the water off it all comes right down inside & all over your door pannel, & lots of it
Man!!! I hate that!!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:05 AM

The nice ash tray (change tray) that always loses my change under the shifter.
My shifter cable broke and i had to take the center console completely apart. after moving the plastic around the shifter I noticed a few pennies and a dime or two in there. I thought "At least I'll get some money back after I'm done." well upon further inspection 10 years of change had collected down there and I was $6.00+ richer by the end of the process, but there were only 7 or 8 quarters...

A big complaint of mine is the transmission mount. I've owned the car since august of last year and I've gone through 3 stockish ones. I now finally have a polyurethane mount and it vibrates the hell out of the interior. I lose either way

Also when I first bought the car, there wasn't a rattle to be heard. I thought "what are all these f-body owners talking about?" Then I realized they all start popping up after you mod the car (headers, gears)

Its funny reading this though, alot of the problems I have had very similar occurences and I thought I was the only one that was having the problems. I dont feel alone now!
Old 06-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Turthfully I can live with all the problems of the F-body... rattles squeaks and all... my only real complaint it that there's no Roots styled blower for the thing because the dang things can't fit under the cowel... grrr ... now what fun is it having this huge hood now?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:57 AM

Wink Re: The Worst Design Flaw in a Camaro!!

Welp here it goes,

#1 Drivers Side Window goes up and down whenever the hell it feels like it!!

#2 Water Drips After drying your car that come out of nowhere when you go for a drive!

#3 GAWD DAMN WORTHLESS CUP HOLDER However I recently took apart the center console and cleaned the **** out of it and now it works better than I ever remember (AUTO)

#4 Fuel Guage for Sure Sputtering way too frequent at 1/4 tank.... UGHHH?

#5 The SPARE TIRE LOCATION is definatley not wife friendly nor is removing it

#6 Pinion Seals

#7 My little *** apartment garage with 10 foot doors... Love them otherwise

#8 The stock POS Stereo in 93-96 REPLACED

#9 I LOVE THIS CAR TO DEATH AND LITTLE **** WILL NEVER SEPARATE ME FROM IT UNLESS I BUY BIG BROTHER

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!
Old 08-03-2004, 03:53 AM

Re: The Worst Design Flaw in a Camaro!!

Originally Posted by Eck
9. Friends always shut the doors by the windows, WTF are they doing?!
I was just thinking this myself. It really drives me crazy and I think that everyone that rides in my car does it. I think one of these times the whole window is just going to snap off.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:11 AM

yes although the camaro has alot of design flaws, its really not all that bad to work on. you want to talk about design flaws im a mechanic in the army, becides the army itself having many design flaws,all the vehicles in the army are pieces of $hit. i would work on my camaro all day long rather than mess with the stuff that i work on. the fact is that the camaro is some of the best that american engineers have to offer, and you should have a feeling of pride every time you spend hours busting your knuckels throwing tools and and screaming every obsenity known to man, because when you see those mustang headlights in your rearview it all becomes worth it.i havent driven my camaro in over 6 months and right now I would give my right nut to drive it. and if this dosent make you see things in a diffrent light than go buy a honda.
P.S. I hate the way my stock rear couldent even stand the stock power, and i hate how easily the rotors warp.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:26 AM

No The Cup Holder Right Behind The Shifter
Old 08-03-2004, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by toby360
You ain't seen blindspots until you've driven in a Vert Z28 with the top up LOL....

I second that. Want a real experience in no hindsight? Drive a Camaro convertible. - I traded mine in, I got tired of hitting stuff.

Other rants:

I fix my opti and the harness connector breaks
I fix my ignition switch and the connectors start getting loose and cutting out
I fix my power windows and the module dies and I get to rewire everything

GM electronics stinks. The other stuff is just an annoyance. Leaving the store and getting into your Z28 with a couple chicks parked next to you, only to turn the key and have nothing happen has got to be on top of my pet peeves list.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:07 AM
EKO

Originally Posted by Eck
17. The dash collects more dust than an Ionic Breeze.

Quick Reply: The Worst Design Flaw in a Camaro!!