General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

The Worst Design Flaw in a Camaro!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 01:27 PM

Re: The Worst Design Flaw in a Camaro!!

I can't believe this thread is still going. I started it well over a year ago--5/25/03. lol.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:03 PM

alright, dont think this was mentioned yet. what about the 80 ft dash and how you have to pretty much sit in both seats to clean it. and what about the special wiper blades? why in hell would you make a special "narrow" blade just for f-bodys. not to mention the fact that theyre like 4 ft. long. hmm.

oh yeah, and for TA owners, how about trying to clean and wax between the spoiler and the trunk (the little holes)? dont get me wrong, the spoiler is one of my favorite exterior features, its just a pain to try and clean.

Last edited by slverbullet; 08-05-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by izzyz28
I don't know the exact cause, but I believe many cars slipped through quality control, and possibly later on down the road developed problems. Just my .02.
Mine has that problem too... and my friend that has a 99 is starting to see some. I'm wondering that if more of the car had been made out of metal that the dents would have shown up there too? Has anybody found a fix for this yet? I'm betting that it's some sort of body flex problem and if you do a lot of suspension work it might go away.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:17 PM

Oh my...

I could go on, and on and on!

Lets see, how about the head light motor on the TA? ALL the leaky spaces on it? Like after you wash it? I don't care how well you wipe it down, it will look aweful if you drive down the road. I use an elec. blower!

For the Camaro, how about those fog lights? Waterpump, Opti (93-97 stuff)
and everything else that has been mentioned!

There is so many things, I am just going to stop, and go read this post, b/c I have only read page 1 and 10, LOL
Old 08-05-2004, 03:23 PM

I have problems choosing between three main things for me (although all these are pretty annoying)

1. 10 bolt rear (ok certain places you can cut corners...but there?? )
2. lone cup holder in the center of where my arm is trying to shift (decorated my interior with coffee from that once)
3. gas gauge...although I have learned to read it fine, its still really annoying.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:36 PM

has anyone mentioned the crappy grade paint they use on f-bodies? that and the fact those rubber things under the hood are always breaking making ur hood lopsided and ur tranny mount rips in half once a month
Old 08-05-2004, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
The worst flaw is that you like to drive it so much that you will put up with petty annoyances and call them "features". You smile every time you put your right foot on the floor, zoom around an expressway ramp or twisty mountain curve and would rather listen to the exhaust note than turn on the stereo. I enjoy my "flawed" car.
Hell yeah! Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!
Old 08-22-2004, 08:55 AM

I'm pretty happy with my ride, haven't had any of the problems most people here have mentioned although I'm sure the "design flaws" are in my car just like it's in yours.

Couple things do annoy me though (talking about Firebirds here). Went on a mini trip yesterday to get it ready for the big haul next week down to Dayton, Ohio for the TA Nationals. I'm driving my car and usually I have the steering wheel tilt position set at second from the bottom. With the wheel in this position driving straight the OP gauge is totally obscured by the Airbag on the wheel. You are able to see just the last 1/3 of the top right of the voltmeter gauge.

Those that aren't familiar with the gauge positons on Firebirds the 4 gauges are located at the bottom of the gauge cluster, 2 on each side of the steering column. Water temp and OP are on the left, volts and fuel level are on the right. The top of the airbag module has a slight crest so it rises slightly from the left towards the middle then starts to drop towards the right. With the wheel totally straight and at the setting I have for tilt the OP gauge is totally blind. It would have been better if they put the OP and the fuel level together that way at least you can see a bit of the OP gauge and the needle would usually be at the area you can see. Volts don't usually move that much so even if it's obscured it's not that important while you're driving.

Another thing that's hidden is the turn signals, when you change lanes and you use the signals and move the stalk enough to work the signal but not where it clicks into position you can't see if the light is actually blinking or not, it may just stay on constantly but your outside signals don't work unless the signal is actually blinking. Basically you could be signalling a lane change but other drivers won't see it. The blinking sound is also not loud enough for you to tell if it is blinking or not.

The second one is minor but the OP gauge one I feel is pretty important. I always prefer to be able to see what my water temps are and OP if the vehicle has one. When either one is blinded due to lack of engineering that bothers me. I just can't see the designers of this car not able to pick that one out when they were building and testing the cars in the early stages of development, boggles my mind.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:14 AM

Who is the jackass that said "Let's put the AC lines RIGHT OVER the damn bolts to drop out the front shocks!!!" And on top of that, "Hey while we're at it, let's use some stupidass TORX bolts on the drivers side and regular bolts on the passenger side!" "Yeah that's it now we're talking!!!"

http://paradox.shacknet.nu/dave88lx/...ftsmanship.jpg
Old 08-22-2004, 12:27 PM

Not sure if this has ben mentioned, dont have enough time to read this thread. The front shock nut rusts-seizes to shock since there is no place for the water to go except for just settling there. Just finished shocks on my Z and the nuts were rusted so bad that I was almost able to break them off with chisel and hammer but ended up using cut off wheel instead... lot less work and time.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:12 PM

How about having to choose between shutting your doors by the windows (finger prints on the windows) or on the paint (finger prints on the paint).

-James
Old 08-22-2004, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by BlackLT1_TX
How about having to choose between shutting your doors by the windows (finger prints on the windows) or on the paint (finger prints on the paint).

-James
Or the door handles
Old 08-22-2004, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
Or the door handles
And that is what I do, but after you wax your baby and you and your bud's go cruising, they NEVER remember (unless they own an fbody).

Sometimes I use the plastic strip between the paint and the window.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:12 PM

Oh man, I used to be a fox body Mustang guy, so my list is long (but most of the items have already been covered previously.)

How about the single exhaust? Mustangs are smaller cars yet have a bigger back seat, lots more room under the hood, way better rearends, and room for dual exhaust (WITH tailpipes and WITHOUT protruding into the floorboards.) Amazes me how poorly GM packaged damn near everything on the car, yet they are so big!

/a front mounted conventional distributor would have been fine thanks, cam driven (or distributorless would have been better!)

Thanks a lot GM.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:22 PM

Cool Re: The Worst Design Flaw in a Camaro!!

After reading 11 pages I chuckle as I concur with most points.

I'll add my new personal favorite.

The combination battery tray coolant overflow resevoir! What a great idea! So when the plastic tie down piece breaks; and, you try to take the battery tray out you wind up with alot more than intended at start. The tray bolt is in a perfect location for corrosion and rust when moisture accumulates under the battery. The design is simply flawless if it was intended to make the aggravation meter spike to new heights.

And it's said GM does drug testing on its employees.

Quick Reply: The Worst Design Flaw in a Camaro!!