General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

The Worst Design Flaw in a Camaro!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 03:21 AM

The Worst Design Flaw in a Camaro!!

The worst design flaw has to be the way they designed the shape/spacing of the T56 and surrounding area. It is freaking rediculous. I spent half the day literally wrestling with my transmission, first to get it out, then to get it back in, to no avail. This was with a tranny jack, and a floor jack. Could they have maybe designed it so that we had an extra 1/2 inch around the belhousing, so that there is room to move the tranny high enough to line up the input shaft, or would it have been too much to ask to cast a little flat spot on the bottom of the tranny, so that it would be possible to keep it level. I know ease of working on the vehicle usually doesn't rate too high on the design priorities, but a freakin pointed transmission, give me a break. If nothing else it is a safety issue. Anyway, I am just frustrated and needed to vent, thanks for listening. Hopefully tomorrow with a fresh perspective, I will have better results.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:14 AM

Just pay-it-forward to someone who won't be bothered by these issues

(me)

I'll give you the Volvo Beater.. that trans/engine bay are a joy to poke around in...
Old 05-25-2003, 04:34 AM

No the worst the design flaw has to be if you leave your driver's side window open in summer & you spray some windshield washer fluid, when the windshielf wiper wipes the water off it all comes right down inside & all over your door pannel, & lots of it
Old 05-25-2003, 06:28 AM

NO! The worst design flaw would definatly have to be the fact that the car sounds like a baby rattle when you are traveling down bumpy roads, or that fact that half of the engine is under the cowl, even a simple job like changing you fuel pressure regulator is frustrating.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:26 AM

Im suprised no one mentioned the optispark.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:49 AM

How about the doors that open way out into the next County?
Old 05-25-2003, 08:00 AM

I love the big doors

And if you wanted to unbolt the tranny you should have used a bout 3 feet of extension for the wrench and avoid the tight spaces all together.

Originally posted by dadsgreen95Z28
How about the doors that open way out into the next County?
Old 05-25-2003, 08:10 AM
Banned

i'll go ahead and mention passenger side EVERYTHING... damn its cramped (did longtubes yesturday)
Old 05-25-2003, 08:49 AM

The worst flaw is that you like to drive it so much that you will put up with petty annoyances and call them "features". You smile every time you put your right foot on the floor, zoom around an expressway ramp or twisty mountain curve and would rather listen to the exhaust note than turn on the stereo. I enjoy my "flawed" car.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:58 AM

how about how dents just magically appear in the rear quarter panel?
Old 05-25-2003, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by chevyboy_z28
how about how dents just magically appear in the rear quarter panel?
.......... and I thought I was the only one that noticed that!!!
Old 05-25-2003, 09:23 AM

I've been all over this car. When it runs good, it puts a smile on my face. My gripes are opening the rear hatch after washing the car or in the rain. Water poors right into the interior. The other main gripe is the cup holder location. I agree about the rattle prone plastic interior. But, like I said, when the loud pedal goes down, I'm all grins. My wife hates the lump in the passenger side floor board. As for the tight engine compartment, you can get around that by taking more stuff apart. Some of the things we dislike about the cars(like the engine halfway under the cowl) are some of the same things that make the car work as well as it does.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:25 AM

and why is there a back seat in the first place?
Old 05-25-2003, 09:31 AM

You have a hump in by the passenger seat? I thought that was only with the 98+ cars. I have road in my moms 2002 and it is very noticable...in my 94 i cannot say i have seen or felt a hump in the passenger area.

My complaints for flaws are about the same as you guys. The center console is an aggrivation...you can't hardly stick any drinks in there without expecting them to flip out. Other than get a new console do you guys have any other solutions to that?
Old 05-25-2003, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by CamaroGuy22
. My complaints for flaws are about the same as you guys. The center console is an aggrivation...you can't hardly stick any drinks in there without expecting them to flip out. Other than get a new console do you guys have any other solutions to that?
Get one of those old school cupholders that hangs off the door. You know, the kind that sandwiches between the window and door panel and hangs there

John

Quick Reply: The Worst Design Flaw in a Camaro!!