General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

window motor? off track?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 09:56 AM

Angry window motor? off track?

one thing after another . first started at autozone just didnt go up completely. then went down fine went back up fine i go out gos down great i get home go to roll it up stops half way and thats it just nothing happens i push the button and shake the window and pull it up til its all the way closed. I go to put it down again gets stuck half way and no matter what i do it wont go up! i finally figured out to keep turning the key on and off when the car first gos on the motor will work for a split second along with me pushing the window up took me a good 20 times to get it all the way up think the motor needs to be replaced or the window is off the track?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:58 PM

Re: window motor? off track?

Could be a couple of things. These motors don't have a phisical on/off switch, they stop when the amp. draw reaches a set peak level. If something was causing a partial jam or rough spot it could cause the window to stop. This could be caused by a missalignment of the track/regulartor or a warn spot in the motor worm gear or a bad/worn area in the track. Or even just hard nasty old grease.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:35 PM

I had the same thing happen to me and it pissed the phug out of me. Its your motor thats going out. Eventually it will go. You might want to replace it and if your car has alot of miles on it you might want to replace the regulators also. Dam motors in mine work fine now but my regulators are shot, so my window is slipping and sliding at every take off and stop.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:58 PM

the regulators are $81 if its not one thing its something else....if i order the regulators from GM do i only need to order one LH? its the drivers door.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:21 PM

You might find this site useful:

http://shbox.com/page/index.html
Old 08-18-2004, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dave '97 Z28 M6
You might find this site useful:

http://shbox.com/page/index.html
yeah i went to his site first but i didnt see anything there about the regulators? im going to replace the motor but i figure might as well do the regulators well im in there.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:08 AM

replace the regulators for sure if youre in there. I replaced 3 motors before finding out the the regulator was having problems and burning up the motor. But the stop and start up/down problems you described is the motor going out. I've gone through 4 drivers side, 2 passenger side. F-body window motors are crap.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
replace the regulators for sure if youre in there. I replaced 3 motors before finding out the the regulator was having problems and burning up the motor. But the stop and start up/down problems you described is the motor going out. I've gone through 4 drivers side, 2 passenger side. F-body window motors are crap.
yeah what im trying to find out is how many regulators do i need? do they come in a package? i see on shoebox's site that they are LH and RH which one is for drivers i assume left but i could be wrong. also do i HAVE to get them from GM? cause i planned on buying the motor from autozone.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:28 AM

There are two regulators, drivers side, and passenger side. They don't come together. I don't know if you can find those outside of GM, but its worth a try.