General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Will this knob fit on my shifter??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 03:04 PM

Will this **** fit on my shifter??

I'm thinking of getting a new shift ****, but I don't know if this one will fit. It's a five speed transmission; I just am not sure if this will thread on. If it won't, I was thinking about shortening my stick anyway. How would I go about doing this and retapping the threads? Here's the link:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Thanks,
Frank
Old 09-18-2006, 02:10 AM

Re: Will this **** fit on my shifter??

Well that **** (08) will not directly attach the your handle if you are still running a stock shifter. The stock shifter thread is M16 x 1.50. The Hurst chrome handles are usually threaded for 3/8 x 16 that the #08 has. You have a few options available, you can get the #14 which is tapped for M12 x1.75 and have it bored out to the M16 thread to match the stock handle or you could do the same with the #08 if there is enough material at the hole. The only M16 threaded Hurst ***** I saw are for 6 speeds at least in Summit. The Hurst ***** tapped for 3/8 thread usually have a brass thread insert (my 4 speed Comp Plus had it) but it might not be enough material to be bored out safely. Cutting and retapping the stock shifter handle might not work as the stock handle is hollow and probably will not retain enough material to rethread. If you pull you current **** off, you will see what I mean. All the M16 threaded ***** I have thread directly to the handle with no inserts. If you are running an aftermarket shifter then I don't see a problem cutting, turning down, and tapping the handle for the #08 **** as most are usually solid.

For info, what year camaro do you have? I might be right to assume that all 5 speed cars (82-02) use the same style stock shifter that has a one piece handle.

You could give Summit a shout to see if they can find a Hurst 5 speed **** with a M16 x 1.50 thread.

Good luck, Allan.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:50 AM

Re: Will this **** fit on my shifter??

Thanks for the help. I called summit, and they said that they didn't have a 5-speed **** that would fit my car. I decided instead to cut down the current shifter, and retap the same M16x1.5mm threads. I already have an aftermarket shift **** (it looks like a big 8-ball, but with a white bowtie on top); though I was thinking about changing, it doesn't seem to be worth it. I'll just shorten the shifter I have now.

Thanks again,
Frank