General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Where Can I Find An Underside Hood Shield?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 01:43 PM

Where Can I Find An Underside Hood Shield?

Anyone know where I can look for a sound deadener that goes on the underside of the hood in early camaros? My car misfires in the rain since I've removed it (it was dirty and falling off already) and now I need it back! Junkyard maybe? They're a tad far from where I am just for that part, although if it keeps me from misfires, it might be worth it.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:22 PM

A junkyard would be a good start. Otherwise it may be a dealer specific item. Why do you think the sound deadener is related to your vehicle misfiring in the rain though?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:25 PM

The dealer will have one if you really need it.

(sorry, saw the 94 in the sig and missed the "early" Camaro notation)

Last edited by shoebox; 12-18-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:34 PM

www.ecklerscamaro.com sells them, plug in their part number 735061 ($67). They're in Titusville, FL though near me. Don't know how much one from a dealer is, but you wouldn't have to ship it across the country.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:34 PM

Don't know if I really want to start this. The sound deadener has NOTHING to do with your missfire. It may have made it noticeable, but did not cause it, either in the rain or the dry!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:27 PM

I've already argued with a few people in other posts who seem to believe that it is only a coincidence that my car misfires every single time it rains in the extremely low rain climate of San Diego.

However, I'm willing to discuss whether or not the sound deadener will help the situation. The reason I think it is the sound deadener is because our hoods' fake scoops have little tiny holes around the outer ring and inner ring of the scoops. These holes are right over some crucial spark components (plugs and coil pack). This occured with 2 different sets of wires, but with the same spark plugs. I believe the sound deadener block these crucial areas.

Are you saying that I just need to change plugs or wires because one or two may be sensitive to moisture and the sound deadener can't block off moisture? If not, tell me why you think the sound deadener is not the problem (rain or dry)?

And yes, I do want to start this, if you don't mind putting in your thoughts on it, that is. I'm always up for solving problems (obviously moreso when they are my own ).
Old 12-16-2006, 09:20 AM

Worn out ignition components whether it be the coil packs, plugs, or wires, can easily cause misfires when exposed to moisture. Granted putting a new sound deadener back on the car will keep water from getting in through the top, it won't block moisture from getting in through the bottom. What if you drive through a big puddle or the roads are just wet from a previous rainstorm? I would chase down the problem at hand. You could get a spray bottle and spray the various parts of your ignition system in hopes of duplicating the problem.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:28 AM

You could always go this route:

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-b...ps&pg=2&_scb=2

They carry lightweight, "spray-on" sound deadeners and thermal insulation.
This is what I'm replacing my factory cockpit insulation, as well as insulation under the hood...
Old 12-16-2006, 12:13 PM

Could I use a multimeter and match the results up with the rest of the wires or match them up to factory specs?

And thanks for the second skin link, I think I may do that as well, it could also be useful for my '70 Camaro resto.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Plug wires can carry 20,000-30,000 Volts. Measuring the resistance of the wire with a multi-meter will not prove anything. You need to subject the wire to 30,000V and see if it arcs to hearby metal or wires..... e.g. run the engine in the dark and look for sparks. Even this might not prove anything, because the voltage required to fire a plug at idle is lower than the voltage required to fire it under heavy load.

An engine should not misfire just because a few components get damp. Cure the real problem.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:12 PM

Well to solve the question on weather it's the insulation or not, you could try a piece of 30# roofing felt mounted over the section of the engine you need covered. IFthat works then you know for sure.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Cure the real problem.
Do you know the real problem, or are you just saying I should find that out?

BTW, I believe your "under heavy load" comment is correct, it mostly happens at 2500 RPMs or above.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
Do you know the real problem, or are you just saying I should find that out?

BTW, I believe your "under heavy load" comment is correct, it mostly happens at 2500 RPMs or above.
If a few drips from the small openings in the hood cause the engine to misfire, something is not working correctly. Fixing the drips would still leave you with a "weak" component that is overly sensitive to moisture. Small amounts of moisture shouldn't make any difference. Am I saying with absolute certainly that its the plug wire insulation???.... absolutely not.... just emphasizing that they could be the problem, but you will not find out by using a multi-meter.

Got to find out what the weak link is. Consider spraying various components of the engine with a fine mist of water, and seeing what part is the most sensitive.

And.... if your hood is leaking, fix that too. But adding the insulation blanket to cure the leak will just lead to a soggy mess that will trap moisture under the hood and contribute to rust. Remove the components of the hood that are leaking, neatly put some sealer in there, and reassemble.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If a few drips from the small openings in the hood cause the engine to misfire, something is not working correctly. Fixing the drips would still leave you with a "weak" component that is overly sensitive to moisture. Small amounts of moisture shouldn't make any difference. Am I saying with absolute certainly that its the plug wire insulation???.... absolutely not.... just emphasizing that they could be the problem, but you will not find out by using a multi-meter.

Got to find out what the weak link is. Consider spraying various components of the engine with a fine mist of water, and seeing what part is the most sensitive.

And.... if your hood is leaking, fix that too. But adding the insulation blanket to cure the leak will just lead to a soggy mess that will trap moisture under the hood and contribute to rust. Remove the components of the hood that are leaking, neatly put some sealer in there, and reassemble.
agreed, pay close attention to the coil and optispark(cap/rotor)
Old 12-17-2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
agreed, pay close attention to the coil and optispark(cap/rotor)
I believe this is on his 70 1/2 Camaro.

Quick Reply: Where Can I Find An Underside Hood Shield?