General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

whats ur opinion on a automatic camaro ss

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 06:35 PM

Re: whats ur opinion on a automatic camaro ss

well, say im leaving the storeand i needed to cross a few lanes of traffic and get on the opposite side of the street to get going the right direction. i would pull out and whatnot, give it some throttle, and if it happened to shift while i was still turning a little, the back end would slide out a little. but, it might have just been my car. it shifted really hard, and i needed new tires. but thats just my .02
Old 08-22-2004, 10:17 PM

If you can't bang gears, I wouldn't suggest a M6 LS1.
From the stories I have heard, they aren't that forgiving when you miss a gear.I have heard too many horror stories of people missing gears and blowing motors.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kris93/95Z28
From the stories I have heard, they aren't that forgiving when you miss a gear.I have heard too many horror stories of people missing gears and blowing motors.
clack clack , piston slap
Old 08-23-2004, 02:02 AM

The whole manual vs. auto thing has been blown way out of proportion. There is no one that is clearly better. Get an auto if you don't want to shift all the time. Get a manual if you think it would be fun.

A4 SSs come with 3.23s standard so you wouldn't have to worry about getting the 2.73s.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kris93/95Z28
You cant blow a motor with a rev limiter!! The tranny or rearend on the other hand......
Old 08-23-2004, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroSS30thAnn
clack clack , piston slap
Piston slap has nothing to do with a4 or manual transmission.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by falchulk
You cant blow a motor with a rev limiter!! The tranny or rearend on the other hand......
Oh yes you can! The most common thing to happen is bent pushrods though. I've missed a couple shifts on my car and I can tell you it revved to 6500, even though the limiter is at 6200.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by MightyMouse98Z
Oh yes you can! The most common thing to happen is bent pushrods though. I've missed a couple shifts on my car and I can tell you it revved to 6500, even though the limiter is at 6200.

That's correct. If you are rolling at 70 MPH and throw it into first, you've bypassed the electronic rev limiter - nothing it can do at that point. What you still have is the "mechanical" rev limiter, which by design, bends the pushrods (not a blown motor), instead of shooting a piston through your hood and 50 feet into the air - THAT'S a blown motor.

This being said, driving an M6 is not as dare-devilish as some people might have you believe. Obviously, if you are going to drive this car hard and do not know what you are doing with that little stick thingy in the center console...get the auto.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by red96taA4
well, say im leaving the storeand i needed to cross a few lanes of traffic and get on the opposite side of the street to get going the right direction. i would pull out and whatnot, give it some throttle, and if it happened to shift while i was still turning a little, the back end would slide out a little. but, it might have just been my car. it shifted really hard, and i needed new tires. but thats just my .02

My 96 Tahoe does that... Any POSI will get alittle squirrrly.. I have had the trans rebuilt and my trans guy swears by shift kits so.. My tahoe got one.. It's fine.. Firm shifts.. I love my 700R-4 Had my trans guy rebuild it.. Put new engine in and took back to him to adjust the TV cable.. Get a 3.42 or 3.73 rear gear.. Get a 2400 or 2800 stall 9.5" Convertor.. You'll be just as fast maybe alittle faster with these mods..
Old 08-23-2004, 12:50 PM

Piston slap has nothing to do with a4 or manual transmission.
u clearly didnt read y i wrote that ....so shut up...

if ur looking for a very consistent car and dont wanna shift all teh time then auto is 4 u
Old 08-23-2004, 01:00 PM

u clearly didnt read y i wrote that ....so shut up...

if ur looking for a very consistent car and dont wanna shift all teh time then auto is 4 u
I read exactly what you wrote "clack clack , piston slap". It does not make sense in the context of manual vs. auto. With a comment like "shut up" you are obviously a little kid. Either that or not very smart.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:19 PM

my 98 never had the piston slap problem but it did suffer an early oil pump failure at around 40k miles
Old 08-23-2004, 10:39 PM

I read exactly what you wrote "clack clack , piston slap". It does not make sense in the context of manual vs. auto. With a comment like "shut up" you are obviously a little kid. Either that or not very smart.
wow we have an internet tough guy...am i supposed to be offended by that.....ur cool....what a f-ing loser..

BTW if u were so smart u would understand y i wrote that....put two and two together a$$hole. or ill do it for u since ur soo stupid....one kid mentioned some manuals hitting teh rev limiter and blowing engines....and i posted clack clac, piston slap b/c thats a commom probblem on LS1s...or atleast most of em....
if u dont know how to drive a manual get a auto...autos are just as fast and hitting teh rev limiter is not a problem IMO if u wanna race and race hard an auto would be better...as there is a less of a strain on weak GM rear end..build up the transmission and have fun shifting fater and not having to worry about hittingthe limiter(not saying every car that hits teh limiter will blow up )...
u started this crap,....there was no intentions of argueing....ill keep on commenting anything anytime i want...

Last edited by CamaroSS30thAnn; 08-23-2004 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:06 AM

I decided to do a manual swap with my car because the tranny would hold the power and would have more gears then if I had a 3spd, which is what I didn't wanna do, I don't like topping out at like 120-130ish with the extra gears I can gear a little higher and maybe be a lil faster, every .10 helps baby.

if this is going to be a 2nd car, get a m6 for sure, but if daily driven I say auto, because beleive me, there are tons of days that u just feel like being lazy.

auto is just as good as manual I think in the avg day. unless your a pro racer

just my 2 cents
Old 08-24-2004, 07:07 AM

wow we have an internet tough guy...am i supposed to be offended by that.....ur cool....what a f-ing loser..

BTW if u were so smart u would understand y i wrote that....put two and two together a$$hole. or ill do it for u since ur soo stupid....one kid mentioned some manuals hitting teh rev limiter and blowing engines....and i posted clack clac, piston slap b/c thats a commom probblem on LS1s...or atleast most of em....
if u dont know how to drive a manual get a auto...autos are just as fast and hitting teh rev limiter is not a problem IMO if u wanna race and race hard an auto would be better...as there is a less of a strain on weak GM rear end..build up the transmission and have fun shifting fater and not having to worry about hittingthe limiter(not saying every car that hits teh limiter will blow up )...
u started this crap,....there was no intentions of argueing....ill keep on commenting anything anytime i want...
I started nothing. Like I said you must be a kid and leave it at that. All I said is that piston slap is not more common on either auto or manual.

On another not, I am not sure how you could put it in 1st at 80mph either. Maybe 5th but not 1st. I can see accidentally downshifting to 2nd instead of 4th and only if you are driving hard. In normal driving you have plenty of time to check the gear before letting the clutch out.

Quick Reply: whats ur opinion on a automatic camaro ss