General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What mod would you do next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 08:46 PM

What mod would you do next?

I never thought I would make one of these threads, but I'm kind of stumped as to what will give me the best bang for buck at this point.

I have catback, jethot headers & y, holley intake manifold, ripper shifter and of course a lid. I'm obviously getting enough air out ... need to get more air in. I was going to get a bigger throttle body, but I did some searching and everyone says thats useless. Thoughts?
Old 01-08-2005, 09:17 PM

Re: What mod would you do next?

Originally Posted by 2CNTRY
Cutout would be easy and relatively inexpensive. I go with either a cam w/rockers if you have the money or start on your suspension i.e. subframe connectors
My cats are gutted, and I have a rumbler exhaust ... so a cutout will be little better ... but looking into a cam may not be a bad idea ... i just dont know much about heads or cams.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=2CNTRY][QUOTE=Stang Spanker]I never thought I would make one of these threads

This ain't a dating site. Don't be embarrassed.
lol.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:38 PM

If you have money to spend then get the Hot Cam from Jason Cromer for about 489ish. It has most everything in it including the rockers. You'll need to spend about another 50 or so on hardened pushrods and I went with new lifters for 187 and a new timing chain for 130something. It will cost you about 700 for installation...maybe less if you don't live in California.

I got great power from the above and expect with my other mods and my tuning to about 330-340 hp and mid to low 12s I would guess.
I thought the hotcam was the one people got; then wish they had gotten a more aggressive cam
Old 01-08-2005, 10:01 PM

Well, that depends on the person. There are plenty of people who are content with the power of the Hot Cam and the price is a bargain for the amount of power you get. I am 37 and didn't want anything too radical like the CC306 or other Xtreme cams. I get stressed out enough with the noise and vibrations of the car as it is. But if a lot of commotion in your car wouldn't bother you then yes, go for a larger cam the first time around. The Hot Cam has only a moderate idle so even I could have gone bigger but only if this wasn't my daily driver. If it was my second car then I can see myself going bigger in the future if I decide to go with heads. Of course you would have to add more money if you buy all the parts seperately or perhaps 400 more in a group purchase or package deal.
Since you put it that way, I see your point. All the rattles and noises in the cockpit stress me out to the point of headaches I have heard of jason, he is a parts dealer or something right? How do I get in touch with him? What heads would match the hotcam well for us daily drivers?
Old 01-09-2005, 12:11 AM

In my opinion the hotcam is a little more suited for the LT1, not quite the LS1. Not that you can't get get good power from the hotcam, it's just not the most sought after cam for an LS1. I too agree that a cam would probably be your next mod. The first things you want are good flow in, and good flow out, you already have that. The next obvious step would be camshaft(besides N2O) for best bang for the buck. You can spend a pretty reasonable amount of cash and get great performance. Either go custom ground, or check out what a lot of good performing LS1 users are going with and head in that route. With some good traction and a relatively mild cam and your mods I see no reason why you can't hit low 12's all day long. That is, if the 10 bolt holds up beind the 6spd.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:30 AM

he's in a LS1....which is probbably already making 330hp

i would suggest getting a dyno tune or at least a mail order tune from pcmforless or madz28

both pretty much guarantee a 13-15hp gain on mildly modded engines, all for about $250 and i think free updates for 6months.

other than that a cam or suspension would be next
Old 01-09-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jay-Roll
In my opinion the hotcam is a little more suited for the LT1, not quite the LS1.
How come a hotcam is not as well suited for the ls1?
Old 01-10-2005, 06:27 AM

i would say because the heads flow well enough stock, let alone a mild port job, to handle a bigger cam. and there are even guys running 224* cams and passing emissions.