General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

What do I need to put down 350HP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 03:31 PM

Arrow What do I need to put down 350HP?

Would this get me to 350 rwhp?

-Pacesetter longtubes w/ORY
-SLP lid with Holley PS filter
-QTP cutouts just after the collectors on the LT's
-larger MAF
-SSRA
-??????

Being over here in England really sucks....I got the money for some heads and a cam but NO ONE over here as even heard of LS1 edit or even of a Camaro so that takes it right out of the picture as far as tuning. So this is pretty much limiting me to just bolt ons for now until I get to Idaho sometime in the near future. Oh and before you rag on me I did a search and after scouring thru all the LT1 bolts I gave up.......thanks
Old 07-02-2004, 04:18 PM

To get 350rwhp I think your gonna need a little more than you have now. A nice cam should get you there with the other stuff you mentioned. Also even though it'd take you much longer to transfer, a mail order tune should keep you running well with just a cam and the usual boltons. Good luck
Old 07-02-2004, 05:24 PM

i'd say those mods would net you darn close to 350rwhp.

although i wouldn't bother with the maf, i would spend the money on a decent mail order tune from someone like Madwolf. he quotes about 13hp on a bolt on car.

with a 02 Z, you're already starting at about 300 conservative.

lid/filter - 10hp
headers/cutouts - 25
tune - 10hp

maybe some small stuff like pulley, ported thottle body, and the 160 stat and tbb you should be damn close to your goal.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:01 PM

Re: What do I need to put down 350HP?

Originally posted by silv3rsw33t
Would this get me to 350 rwhp?

-Pacesetter longtubes w/ORYdecent power gain
-SLP lid with Holley PS filter get the lid forget about the filter. .keep the filter stock for max power
-QTP cutouts just after the collectors on the LT'sthis would be good for an on and off thing..
-larger MAFnever get a MAF.. most tuners prefer stock maf anyways
-SSRAnot really a power adder as much as an enhancement
-??????
that should help ya along.

one of my employees just moved to England.. He is missing his american muscle! hehe
Old 07-03-2004, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by teke184
i'd say those mods would net you darn close to 350rwhp.

although i wouldn't bother with the maf, i would spend the money on a decent mail order tune from someone like Madwolf. he quotes about 13hp on a bolt on car.

with a 02 Z, you're already starting at about 300 conservative.

lid/filter - 10hp
headers/cutouts - 25
tune - 10hp

maybe some small stuff like pulley, ported thottle body, and the 160 stat and tbb you should be damn close to your goal.
So I would be alright with a mail order tune? How does that work? Do I give him the specs of my car and he tunes the chip to those specs? If that would really work I would buy some heads and a small cam right now!!
Old 07-03-2004, 04:48 AM

So I would be alright with a mail order tune? How does that work? Do I give him the specs of my car and he tunes the chip to those specs? If that would really work I would buy some heads and a small cam right now!!
Yup that's pretty much exactly it. Only he tunes your PCM not a chip. There are two ways to do it. Pay a core charge and have him send you a preburnt PCM tuned for your car and mods. Swap that one with your stocker and send your stocker back to him for a refund of the core. This is to minimize downtime. Since it'll be a long ship for you I would recommend going that way. The other way is to just remove your PCM from the car and send it to him. He'll burn it specific to your car and send it back to you when finished. Unfortunately your car is nothing more than a boat anchor the whole time the PCM is out. If you don't mind waiting your alright, but if you need the car for work or something your basically SOL until you get it back. Also sorry about my recommendations before, I was thinking you had an LT1 not an LS1. With the mods you mentioned I bet you probably could be relatively close to your goal. I still say with a cam(even a mild one) you'll be more than satisfied with what you want and then some.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:34 AM

So do you recommend going with just a mild cam or could I go just a little more aggressive?
Old 07-03-2004, 09:30 AM

So do you recommend going with just a mild cam or could I go just a little more aggressive?
A fellow car member on his LS1 with a TR224 cam, mid headers, and untune pcm put down 349rwhp. Another with tune was at 360rwhp.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by Fuels94TA
A fellow car member on his LS1 with a TR224 cam, mid headers, and untune pcm put down 349rwhp. Another with tune was at 360rwhp.
Thats not bad....But I was hoping that if I was going to go ahead and do the cam and do a pcm swap that I could net over 400 with the mods listed at top.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:03 PM

When you start getting high in the hp like that it's harder and harder to acheive big #'s. 400rwhp will almost certainly have to include a good set of P&P heads. A nice heads and cam setup and you'd easily be in the 400rwhp range. As far as just cam goes, it's all up to you. Obviously with a more agressive cam you'll be making more power but you might be suffering drivability to get it. If your car is a daily driver you may not want that. Some people don't mind it every day, some do. It all depends on how much stop and go driving you do, what the car is mainly used for, etc. A somewhat mild cam will still net you some nice #'s although not as high as a more agressive one, on the other hand drivability will be just as smooth and easy as stock. If you drive the car all the time and you just wanna be able to cruise around, this is the route you'll most likely enjoy. You won't have trouble keeping the car running at stoplights.