General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

V-6 3.8 Liter Ram Air?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:09 AM

Re: V-6 3.8 Liter Ram Air?

Originally Posted by Maro98
Is this everything I would need for a Ls1 swap im not sure. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-Tr...mZ190000660036
No, that is not everything. You'll also need the k-member, radiator, driveshaft, tranny crossmember, front suspension springs, gauge cluster, and the posi rear differential.

To make a V6 car into a Z28 requires lots more than just the engine and trans.

You will easlily spend more converting your car that it would take to trade up to a real Z28.... Unless you can get a rediculous deal on a complete running LS1 wreck.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:47 AM

you don't need a ls1 driveshaft, you might already have a lsd diff in your car.

But overall it might be cheaper to sell your car ad buy one. Thought people have done the swap for like $3k.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:12 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._BIN_Stores_IT

there's an ls2 for you, haha
Old 06-25-2006, 03:27 PM

I dont really know much about it I just know I can not get financed for a good Z28 or SS (Ive Tried) so I have to work with what I got. If I had 4 or 5 thousand could I make the swap?
Old 06-25-2006, 04:45 PM

If I had 4 or 5 thousand could I make the swap?
If you already have the doner drivetrain/fuel components/suspension and exhaust system then - yes you could.

If you need to buy all of those yet, then - no you couldn't. You would find yourself running out.

Soooo.........you have 5 grand and a V6 Camaro.......that sounds like enough money to get yourself into a Z28.

Paying somebody to do the job = $$$$$$$$
Doing in yourself = saving money but having a huge amount of downtime.

Like everybody has said already, it is not worth it.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:38 PM

Well a better question is how much power do you need? Will 330ish RWHP quench your thirst, or are you like the rest of us and always thirsting for more? I thought I would stop when i bought my LS1. Look at me now, I've got all the bolt ons and have a cam on the way. If you can deal with only 300ish WHP then Turbo that 6 and get a good cam/heads/bottom end and be proud of whipping up on some intake/exhaust V8's. But remember that thats is about your limit, unless you start shelling out some serious cash! At about that time, the extra money spent would be better put in saving for buying an LS1 straight up without a need to finance! and still have cash for a cam (390ish HP)(a good one can be had for 8k)
Old 06-26-2006, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pandamonkey
That "extra pull" is in your head.

There is no possible way you are managing to preasurize your intake manifold at those kind of speeds.

You need PSI to gain hp - and you would not even be making 0.5 PSI..........

Hence why superchargers and turbochargers work - they create preasure. Ram air does not, the engine is only going to suck as much air as it can use. If you want it to take more you have to force it with some amount of PSI.
Its "pressure", and moving air creates pressure.... its called "velocity head". How much of that pressure you are able to recover is a function of the hood scoop design and location. Pro Stock hood scoops are extensively tested in a wind tunnel for maximum pressure gains.

But the pressure gain is small..... it can be shown that it can net you no more than 1% HP increase at 100mph, and that the gains are proportional to the square of the speed.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by GhostZ28
Well a better question is how much power do you need? Will 330ish RWHP quench your thirst, or are you like the rest of us and always thirsting for more? I thought I would stop when i bought my LS1. Look at me now, I've got all the bolt ons and have a cam on the way. If you can deal with only 300ish WHP then Turbo that 6 and get a good cam/heads/bottom end and be proud of whipping up on some intake/exhaust V8's. But remember that thats is about your limit, unless you start shelling out some serious cash! At about that time, the extra money spent would be better put in saving for buying an LS1 straight up without a need to finance! and still have cash for a cam (390ish HP)(a good one can be had for 8k)
See the problem with selling my car is I have put so much money into the looks of my car already I dont want to start over with all of that on another car. So if I could get my car somewhere between 330 and 350 RWHP I would be happy with my car. So if thats my goal would you say go the supercharger route or turbo? I heard the turbo is alot more involved and truthfully I dont know anything about engines so I dont really know where to start.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:00 PM

if you have put that much into the looks...Then please don't do it to a LS1.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by TA-Body
if you have put that much into the looks...Then please don't do it to a LS1.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Old 06-27-2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Taintedz28
go to bed andrew

I think 330 RWHP is manageable in a V6. Post it in the V6 tech, and look for dyno numbers from other people's 3800 projects. The 3.8 is no dog in the V6 category, it just needs to be awaken.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:20 PM

See the problem with selling my car is I have put so much money into the looks of my car already I dont want to start over with all of that on another car. So if I could get my car somewhere between 330 and 350 RWHP I would be happy with my car. So if thats my goal would you say go the supercharger route or turbo? I heard the turbo is alot more involved and truthfully I dont know anything about engines so I dont really know where to start.
You didnt say what year it is or the miles on it, it may not be worth putting that much into an older car. I once considered a supercharger, but cant justify it on my daily driver car and besides I'd rarther save the money.

Nothing worthless about modding a V6 as long as you enjoy it! I did a few things to my car a few years back and I love my car just as much as day one!
Old 06-28-2006, 11:03 AM

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

It means that theses cars look about as good looking as you can make them stock. Some wheels and little things are really all they need. So if you spent a lot of money on the looks...then you must of tacked a lot of pretty ricey stuff on.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:29 AM

If I had a V6 camaro with mods and wanted a V8 Camaro, here is what I would do, before I spent another $4,000 modding the V6 car.

1) go buy a $9,000 LS1 camaro with 4 cash and 5 on the credit card

2) transfer the mods from the V6 car onto the V8 car

3) sell the V6 car for 4 or 5 and pay off the credit card.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by TA-Body
It means that theses cars look about as good looking as you can make them stock. Some wheels and little things are really all they need. So if you spent a lot of money on the looks...then you must of tacked a lot of pretty ricey stuff on.
No not really or at least I dont think so.... SS hood, RS spoiler, Wings West body kit, rims and tires, black halo lights, black corners, berger panel, painted calipers new rotors, new badging and now im working on the interior.

Quick Reply: V-6 3.8 Liter Ram Air?