General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Using Factory Transmission Cooler for Power Steering Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:25 PM

Using Factory Transmission Cooler for Power Steering Cooler?

Is this possible? I'm just wondering, because I swapped my Camaro to a manual years ago, and I plugged up the lines because there was no use for a transcooler. I've been toying with the idea for a year now, but I'm not sure enough to dive into it. The Power Steering pump is in the same area as the OE transcooler, so the hoses wouldn't be terribly long. I would think this could work, but I'm not for certain. What do you guys think??
Old 05-10-2006, 01:32 PM

Re: Using Factory Transmission Cooler for Power Steering Cooler?

Originally Posted by SGFuryZ
Is this possible? I'm just wondering, because I swapped my Camaro to a manual years ago, and I plugged up the lines because there was no use for a transcooler. I've been toying with the idea for a year now, but I'm not sure enough to dive into it. The Power Steering pump is in the same area as the OE transcooler, so the hoses wouldn't be terribly long. I would think this could work, but I'm not for certain. What do you guys think??
you mean the one built into your radiator? do you want more hot fluid in there when you already have cooling problems?

this guy used a B&M transcooler for a power steering cooler:

http://www.ws6.com/pscool.htm
Old 05-10-2006, 01:37 PM

I'm just wondering if it'd work, because once I manage my cooling issues, I'm going with an aftermarket radiator, and the price difference between the manual vs. the auto (w/ transcooler) is quite a bit, roughly $100. Granted, I know I could get an aftermarket, standalone cooler for 1/3 that price, it'd come in handy in the ways of better managing my engine space...

I wouldn't be planning to do this right away, I just wanna know for future reference...
Old 05-10-2006, 01:58 PM

Do this... http://www.go-fast.org/z28/pscool.html

Thats what im doing right now... its very cheap and since iv already blown two pumps, im going to make my third pump last for once...

BTW, im using a different cooler than the one pictured.. im using the cooler used in this write-up

http://para.noid.org/pscooler/
Old 05-10-2006, 03:36 PM

Yeah, I've seen that one before & that may be the route I go, however, I was just trying to use what I had without having to slap "extra" stuff on it...
Old 05-10-2006, 04:12 PM

Bro you are already not using it for anything and from what I see.... it is a hell of an idea. I say go for it and see how it works. It cant hurt and it will save you some cash by not having to get new stuff.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MeanGreen97Z
Bro you are already not using it for anything and from what I see.... it is a hell of an idea. I say go for it and see how it works. It cant hurt and it will save you some cash by not having to get new stuff.
That's what i'm thinking. I'm in the same boat. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't think the steering needs a ton of cooling, just enough to keep it from boiling... but maybe i'm wrong. Does anyone have a definate answer to this?
Old 05-11-2006, 03:20 PM

I considering using the tranny cooler, but as stated above, why do I want to add another heat source to my radiator

Last edited by OBE1 95Z28; 05-12-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:38 PM

If you're not having water cooling problems using the tranny cooler as is, i don't see how it would have an affect using it as a power steering cooler instead. If i'm already using an external tranny cooler, then why not? It can't be worse than NO steering cooler, right?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by wdtiger
If you're not having water cooling problems using the tranny cooler as is, i don't see how it would have an affect using it as a power steering cooler instead. If i'm already using an external tranny cooler, then why not? It can't be worse than NO steering cooler, right?
Just to clarify, M6 cars that have a radiator with tranny cooler fittings/tank don't use that section normally. Therefore the coolant system isn't being burdened with the extra heat associated with cooling tranny fluid. It's up to you whether you want to add more heat to your coolant system by plumbing your power steering into the radiator system or use and external cooler to solve your power steering cooling needs.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:17 PM

Yes, i'm aware of that. My point is the auto tranny is already using that and the cooling system handles it fine. There is currently no power steering cooler on these cars (dumbest thing about these cars, i think. Even my little Integra has a factory steering cooler). If i'm already using an external tranny cooler (and therfore i am not using the built in tranny cooler) what difference would it make if i use the existing cooler for the power steering instead? How is that adding more heat to a system that's already designed for it? I'm just switching what it's cooling, right?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by wdtiger
Yes, i'm aware of that. My point is the auto tranny is already using that and the cooling system handles it fine. There is currently no power steering cooler on these cars (dumbest thing about these cars, i think. Even my little Integra has a factory steering cooler). If i'm already using an external tranny cooler (and therfore i am not using the built in tranny cooler) what difference would it make if i use the existing cooler for the power steering instead? How is that adding more heat to a system that's already designed for it? I'm just switching what it's cooling, right?
As you stated, the stock radiator is designed to cool the tranny as well as the engine. In higher HP applications more cooling capability may be beneficial.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by OBE1 95Z28
As you stated, the stock radiator is designed to cool the tranny as well as the engine. In higher HP applications more cooling capability may be beneficial.
Basically, you don't know.

Does anybody know if it'll work?