General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Update On Cooling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 05:30 PM

Update On Cooling Issue

Well, i just got my car back from my mechanic it turns out that my rad had a small leak. It was replaced. Also my thermostat is what really messed things up. It somehow broke lose and jammed itself in an akward position. My mechanic said he hasnt seen anything like it before. So i had the houseing replaced etc. However, my car still isnt as quick as it once was. You know when its your car and you drive it almost everyday and you can dell when something is off or out of tune but everyone just says its normal or fine. Well, thats how i feel because my car isnt as quick off the line as it used to be. I mean i still get wheel spin etc. But i tried to tare **** down the HW and my car wasnt as quick as it was.

Also when i decellerate i get a strange kind of rattleing sound around 1900-1500 rpms then it dissapates. It did make that noise when my car was overheating i figured the car was just lean from the computer retarding the timeing because the car was overheating. I know my car pings when it gets really hot although my car isnt pinging it makes that same exhaust drone. Maybe the cat is cooked? Ceramic has broken lose? Lose bracket? Yet i dont see why...the car makes no noise at acceleration 800-5600 rpms only in that band that i just described on decelertion does it make a rattleing noise (it sounds like the exhaust is lean) the mechanic doent have OBDII so i am gunna have to go to autozone to see if anysensors are throwing a code.

My SES light is on but its because i blew the aux elec fan. I took it on the hw and thought it might correct itself, it wasnt as noticible but it later came back, drove it a good 22 miles today non-stop. At all differnt rpm bands. The car sounds good on acceleration but i dont think as ballsy. Then i get that drone on deceleration at that 19-1500 rpm band.

Could the thermostat really have f*cked things up that much?

Last edited by LT-14me; 11-15-2004 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:59 AM

Re: Update On Cooling Issue

If it was the correct thermostat it shouldn't have moved in the housing. It sits perfectly in there then the top of the housing holds it down. How long have you known this guy? He could have fixed it but made up some stupid excuse as to why it happened.

EDIT : Just saw it was an LS1 so I'm not sure how the thermostat is set up, I was going by LT1 style.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:22 AM

Re: Update On Cooling Issue

Originally Posted by Kataklysm
If it was the correct thermostat it shouldn't have moved in the housing. It sits perfectly in there then the top of the housing holds it down. How long have you known this guy? He could have fixed it but made up some stupid excuse as to why it happened.

EDIT : Just saw it was an LS1 so I'm not sure how the thermostat is set up, I was going by LT1 style.

Well, i have a new thermostat and houseing. about 40 for the stat and houseing 120 for labor! **** it only cost me 90 to have him change out my alt. But there was trouble shooting involved. To be honest i believe him about the stat since my car wasnt overheating into the red but around 220-240 which is way off for my car since my car at idle is around 160. He said the leak in the rad was very minor and it didnt affect compression he said it was around where the resavour and the rad connected. It was just dripping. Nothing bad. I wanted a new rad anyway so he replaced it.

However this damn rattleing is driveing my nuts!..lol...i crawled under my car (in the snow) and i played with every bracket i saw and nothing. Also it makes that sound at exactly 1700 RPMS i put it in N in my driveway and it did it every time even on acceleration. When i put it in gear it only does it on deceleration.

However, the welds where the air tubes go into the passenger side manifold look chipped and rusted. I wounder if the backpressure is off on that side and causeing the car to suck in excess air or blow exhaust out causeing the cats to rattle?