General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 05:49 PM

turn signal problem

hey , i was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction with a problem with both the front and back right turn signal on my 97 ss . When i turn the blinker on to take a right turn the arrow in the dash stays lit and does not blink , it just stays solid green. also the front right blinker does not light up , however the back right does. also both bulbs are new bulbs , can anyone point me in the right direction from my description of the problem? thanks
Old 01-04-2005, 06:33 PM

Re: turn signal problem

If the front does not light up, you have a problem with that circuit. Probalby the socket if you have replaced the bulb, but the new bulb could be bad as well. Use a meter or a test light to help determine what is going on.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:29 PM

If you find the problem, please post your findings. My 97 does the same thing every 5th or 6th time you use the right blinker. I havn't driven the car very much in the past couple years so I never looked into it much more than replacing both the bulbs.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by LandryP
If you find the problem, please post your findings. My 97 does the same thing every 5th or 6th time you use the right blinker. I havn't driven the car very much in the past couple years so I never looked into it much more than replacing both the bulbs.
My 97 did the exact same thing aswell... Here's what I found...

First I checked the rear (which was actually going bad)... Replaced the bulb, and socket with a cheap $7.00 socket from Autozone... Fixxed it for a week till it happened again. I checked the rear, the bulb was loose... MAKE SURE YOUR BULBS ARE TIGHT!!! As in they actually CLICK when you place them! Well guess what... same problem happened again and my Right Front Turn Signal always had a history of going in and out... Jacked the car up, looked at it... The Socket was bad and the bulb wasn't clicking in all the way. So a road bumb could throw it off. I snapped the bulb in and it worked again for alittle while until I had the cash to replace the front socket... That solved it!
On the front, it's more than likely the big Orange light... the one thats closest toward the nose of the car rather than the smaller bulb that sticks toward the ******d edge. In otherwords the one with the bigger socket.

My only problem is now my right turn signal blinks faster than my lefts, but I think thats because I'm using different bulbs because the different sockets. I'll see if I can get a flasher to fix that or perhaps just changing all my turn signals...

whew that was long!