General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

turn signal bulbs keep going bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:07 PM

turn signal bulbs keep going bad

Anyone else have issues with their front turn signal bulbs burning out repeatedly? I have a 2002 Firehawk and about a year ago one of the front turn signal bulbs went bad. I put in a new bulb (a cheap one from autozone) in and a couple weeks later its gone bad. Get another bulb and it goes bad in a couple weeks. So at this point I figure I'll get the "higher quality" bulbs (made by Philips I think). But same result as the cheap ones. Looks like most times part of the metal connection is breaking off the base of the bulbs. Don't know what's causing it but it's happening to both front turn signals.

Is there a manufacturer that makes a better quality bulb?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:17 PM

this would be good info to know. my lights in the rear of the car ALWAYS go out. it's irritating
Old 02-01-2008, 02:36 PM

Are they aftermarket lenses? Is there water getting into them around the seals? Are the sockets very black? You may want to try some dielectric grease on the connectors when installing the new bulbs. I had similar problems with an old Camaro I owned.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by PSU 98
Are they aftermarket lenses? Is there water getting into them around the seals? Are the sockets very black? You may want to try some dielectric grease on the connectors when installing the new bulbs. I had similar problems with an old Camaro I owned.
Likewise, solved it by literally ducktaping the assembly of the bulbsocket to the lenses so there was no way water could get in...

To the OP... Are they failing right after it rains? If they are, it's undoubfully moisture... Find a way to form a tighter seal, go all out and ducktape it if you have to
Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 PM

Yeah I've completely sealed it off from any water getting in with silicone. i even sprayed it with a garden hose just to make sure it's watertight. It seems like everytime a bulb fails it's because the metal connectors at the base are breaking off. and they break off with or without the dielectric grease on there. that's why i was thinking it's a quality issue with the bulbs.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:47 PM

New sockets aren't a budget breaker, put a new one in and see if your bulb lasts longer. Good luck.