General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Turn Signal Assembly Problem- I've got pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:36 PM

Post Turn Signal Assembly Problem- I've got pictures!

I thought I had posted something before on this.. took 30 minutes to search for it but nothing.. anyways..

I am having some trouble with the multi function arm staying up when i use it. I end up holding it for the blinker to come on. When I use it for left turns, its not as bad but could use some work too. There is also a huge problem with getting the high beam switch to work right.

I've replaced a couple parts so far, but maybe I had done something wrong in the install/removal. This is why I've included pictures from the last time I had tried to fix the problem. I was wondering if you guys could maybe point out in these pictures what the problem could be.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2407662/3

I've made a few comments on that page below the pictures where I have replaced something.

Last edited by cam3.4aro; 05-01-2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: link edit
Old 05-01-2007, 03:15 PM

The turn signal switch should click firmly up and down. Did you test the function/motion of the new switch before you installed it? There is not much to it, it either works or it doesn't. This is assuming the metal link is installed correctly to the lever. It's a 3" metal arm that attaches with one screw. You're holding it in one of your pictures... That is all that links the arm to the switch.

As far as the highbeams, there is an actuator rod coming up from the lower column where the actual hi-low switch is mounted. The end of that rod bends over and rests against a small piece of plastic that has to be fitted into just the right place for it to work. Also, if the rod is bent out of shape it may not match up to the rest of the mechanism properly and may not work properly.

Also note that if the tilt mechanism in your column is loose and has play that it can cause the hi-low actuator rod to be misaligned and not work properly. Tightening the tilt joint internally or pressing the pivot pins back in place can correct this.

Last edited by TraceZ; 05-01-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 PM

Thank you. Ill try and tear it back apart and look to see if the replacement part "clicks" when i take it out again. The little 3" arm piece was EXTREMELY hard to put back in from what i remember. It just wouldnt stay where it was supposed to go. I'll let you know how it comes when I can tear it back apart. It'll be this weekend.

thanks again.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:02 PM

This 3" metal arm... i did notice there was some play in it. It has only one screw to attach to the blinker assembly and also a pivot point on the other end attached to ...the multifunction switch? What is the name of that part? There lies the problem. Its that whole connection. The white blinker switch assembly is in working condition it clicks and stays.. i just have to move my multifunction arm a lot before the blinker switch assembly moves.

Any advice?

For the highbeams, the "hi-low" switch is called the dimmer switch right? I think its GM# 26035242 (SWITCH, DI COMMUTATEUR INTERRUPTOR) ? I just got it from Chevy and im looking for the actual piece in my column so i can replace it.

Also is the tilt mechanism hard to get to?

Originally Posted by TraceZ
The turn signal switch should click firmly up and down. Did you test the function/motion of the new switch before you installed it? There is not much to it, it either works or it doesn't. This is assuming the metal link is installed correctly to the lever. It's a 3" metal arm that attaches with one screw. You're holding it in one of your pictures... That is all that links the arm to the switch.

As far as the highbeams, there is an actuator rod coming up from the lower column where the actual hi-low switch is mounted. The end of that rod bends over and rests against a small piece of plastic that has to be fitted into just the right place for it to work. Also, if the rod is bent out of shape it may not match up to the rest of the mechanism properly and may not work properly.

Also note that if the tilt mechanism in your column is loose and has play that it can cause the hi-low actuator rod to be misaligned and not work properly. Tightening the tilt joint internally or pressing the pivot pins back in place can correct this.