General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Thinking Of Buying A Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 02:25 PM

Thinking Of Buying A Camaro

I'm 17, and ever since I saw a 1993 Camaro, I've wanted one. I currently drive a 1992 Ford Taurus. I have a few questions about the cars I'd like to find out about before I decide to get one. Is this the right forum to ask them?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:54 PM

Re: Thinking Of Buying A Camaro

Well, being 17, as you can imagine, I have a pretty limited income. I own my Taurus (that is, the title and everything is in my name). I pay $150 a month for insurance. I know that muscle/sports cars are killer on insurance, espacially for my age group, so I'm wondering what the deal is on insurance for Camaros. Also, I hear they aren't too great on gas, and like I said, I don't a lot of money, so filling up on gas all the time isn't going to work for me. basically, I'm just trying to do a little beginning research before buying. Any help would be really appreciated!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:02 PM

Are you looking at Z28's or V6's? Obviously a V6 has cheaper insurance and you will get better gas milage. I, too am young, and I have a 94 V6 5spd Camaro. I pay $70 a month on insurance (liablility only) and about $20 a week in gas.

If your looking at Z's the opti-spark system is a common problem that everyone hates...
If your looking at V6's theres the 93-95 3.4L that puts out 160 hp, and theres the 95-02 3.8L that puts out about 200 hp.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:06 PM

Welcome! I was 17 back in August when I bought mine. Insureance can be manageable if you're willing to make some sacrifices. I carry the bare minimum the state requires. So my company will ony pay for damages to other cars, not to mine. I'm in an at fault accident, I get nothing for my car. If I'm not at fault, I only get something if the other car is covered. If not, I'm out of luck. Also, no theft/vandelism or act of nature(flood, fire, tree branch, etc) Bare minumum. I pay around $2300 a year, with good student and drivers ed discounts. So its doable for not much more than what you're paying now. As for gas, 6 speeds are great! I get 32 mpg highway if I try. But most of the time I get low 20's due to my lead foot, but that's by choice. If you take it easy, mileage is great. Just look around the LT1 forum, but don't be intimidated by the Opti or weak rear end. Thats gotten blown way out of proportion and they realy aren't a big deal. Good luck, you'll enjoy it!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:14 PM

don't they are slow, expensive, get horrible gas milage, every honda with a wing and an intake can beat them...

oh and the styling is boring

Old 02-16-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by L32CamaroM5
Are you looking at Z28's or V6's? Obviously a V6 has cheaper insurance and you will get better gas milage. I, too am young, and I have a 94 V6 5spd Camaro. I pay $70 a month on insurance (liablility only) and about $20 a week in gas.

If your looking at Z's the opti-spark system is a common problem that everyone hates...
If your looking at V6's theres the 93-95 3.4L that puts out 160 hp, and theres the 95-02 3.8L that puts out about 200 hp.
Well, I want a V6, because I don't race or really do over the speed limit at all actually, but I just really love these cars. Do you own the car yourself, or is it in someone else's name, cause I have a Taurus, not even a sports car, and I pay $150 a month for minimum liability, just like you have. $20 a week in gas is totally manageable, probably about what I use for my car now. How often and how far do you drive it, I mean is it just a weekend car for you, cause if I get one, it will be my car for all the time. I could probably get the car in my dad's name, if that'll make for cheaper insurance, cause I'm thinking, a 17 year old male with his own Camaro will probably be totally unmanageable for for for insurance. I'm not going for high-performance, I'm just going for looks!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:36 PM

And teke, if you don't like the Camaros, how come you have so many posts on here, and how come you own one yourself? Not trying to be a jerk, just wondering though.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bob5150
And teke, if you don't like the Camaros, how come you have so many posts on here, and how come you own one yourself? Not trying to be a jerk, just wondering though.
Note the " " at the end of his post.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:46 PM

I pay $160.00 full coverage a month. THe car is registered under my dads name and he is supposed to be driving the car so when I get pulled over I just say my dad parked in front of me...its been this way since I was 17 and I am 21 now...but i have gotten quotes just me alone with the same insurance company and policy and I would pay about $2400 a year.
I go about 200 miles to tank so this will last me about 3 days maybe 3.5 if i drive normal (not 1/2 throttle about 1/8th).
Optisparks do seem to be a pain in the along with spark plugs and
wires if your new to do..till this day i have only replaced the wires and plugs once and this was about 2yrs ago and i paid for this. Seems like these cars
always have something wrong with them but other than that I LOVE EM!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:58 PM

Well, I have you all beat! I bought my 95 6-speed TA two years ago, when I was 18. I took out a loan from the bank and have to pay 250 a month for 3 years ( one more #$(@ing year left! ) Also, the insurance full coverage runs me another 250 a month, so you can imagine how quickly that adds up. If you're young like me, and want one of these cars, you'll have to be ready to sacrifice. I don't know the last time I went out and spent money on clothes or cds or anything like that! And being in college limits my income. But buying my car was the best choice I could have ever made, it barely ever gives me problems, is fun as hell to drive, and a new hobby for me ( working on it, modding it, etc. ).
Old 02-16-2005, 04:08 PM

I bought mine when I was 18 1/2

V8 car insurance was going to be about $3500 a year as opposed to the $1800 I payed when I first got the V6, it's also registered in my dads name which kept the cost down.

Since then the Camaro's insurance has droped to barely $1000 a year (I'm 21 now)

Gas, I get about 23-31 normally but if it's winter or I'm driving hard consistantly It will get under 20.

Overall It's been a great car! only complaint is the wires and sometimes the T top leak which I think I fixed.

~Chris
Old 02-16-2005, 05:05 PM

You're looking at a V6? Well, we all have to start somewhere Then the insurance won't be bad at all. Just call and shop around. I get USAA, so itsw the cheapest out there, but still expensive. Just look around the V6 threads and see what they're talking about there.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:09 PM

Try to get a 3.8 V6 if you can. They are still pretty fast and the insurance won't be so bad. Insurance also depends on where you live, like a city or BFE. I wouldn't get a Z28 because they payments and the insurance will really make you suffer. I had to switch to liability only when I moved to Sacramento, because the insurance would have been about $2000 a year and I'm 24 with a good record.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:20 PM

i am from michigan and when i bought my 94 z28 (at 17) i had it in my moms name and insured under her name and it was about 450 every six months and then i got my own insurance when i turned 18 and it was about 660 every six months ( state req'd minimum)
Old 02-17-2005, 02:04 AM

Welcome to the fantastic world of f-bodies. They are truly great cars. I started with them when I was 16 and was given my 86 firebird. The poor car had the 2.8 and after hundreds of dollars and a failed engine swap, two years later I decided it was time for the to step up to the lt1. That dang car is the best part of my life right now and not to mention that it will absolutely take a dump on any of my friend’s cars.

When it comes to insurance, I have the Z in my dad’s name, but the bird is in my name and my insurance is about 160 a month (most of that is on the bird). I know that you want a V6, but if you come across a good deal on a lt1 I think you should conceder it. Just go and sit in a 4th gen. f-body that has a V8 and start it up, I PROMOS you will fall in love. By the way, I paid 4500 for my 96, so they are out there.

Quick Reply: Thinking Of Buying A Camaro