General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Was there ever a SLP Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 02:26 PM

Was there ever a SLP Z28?

I know all Camaros started as Z28, which is why they have the Z28 RPO code. I've heard different stories about how they go to SLP and that's where they make em an SS- RPO code- WU8. I've heard other where the SS Camaros were GM made and the one sent to SLP had ad ons- RPO code -Y2Y.

Bought my 2000 SS 2 years ago and my uncle asked me if it was SLP. I said no but then I checked and it had the Y2Y code but no passenger sticker .

He told me his neighbor has 98 SLP Z28. I've seen the car looks like a regular Z28. He bought it when the cars first came out. Did the dealership lie to him ? Was there ever a SLP Z28?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Re: Was there ever a SLP Z28?

They all started out as a Z28. In the LS1 years, SLP may have started the SS conversion, but by 2000 GM did the WU8 parts install at their factory. Then they sent the car to SLP, if there were SLP added content options to be installed.

You Service Parts Code should have both the Z28 code (Z28) and the SS code (WU8).

So, if the "neighbor" has a real SS, it's going to have both Z28 and WU8 on the Service Parts tag. You, and he would both have a Z28 with the SS package.

You seem obsessed by all this.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
They all started out as a Z28. In the LS1 years, SLP may have started the SS conversion, but by 2000 GM did the WU8 parts install at their factory. Then they sent the car to SLP, if there were SLP added content options to be installed.

You Service Parts Code should have both the Z28 code (Z28) and the SS code (WU8).

So, if the "neighbor" has a real SS, it's going to have both Z28 and WU8 on the Service Parts tag. You, and he would both have a Z28 with the SS package.

You seem obsessed by all this.
I'm asking about a SLP Z28 non- SS . I know I have an SS, it has the RPO code WU8. I know it's an SLP due to Y2Y RPO Code. I know they start out as Z28 because it has the Z28 code. What I don't know about my car is the what SLP options it came with.

As for my friend it is not an SS. It's a Z28. No SS Hood No SS spoiler, Z28 badge. Wans told it was an SLP z28 . Just wanted to know if there any Z28s with SLP package that weren't an SS.

Sorry if u think I obsessed but I figure if I have questions that's why come to this forum to look for answers.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:20 PM
Administrator

I've been trying to help you repeatedly with what I've learned about the 4th Gen's over the 20 + years I've been intrigued by them. But you don't appear to appreciate my efforts, so I'll let someone else with more credibility in your mind step in and take over.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I've been trying to help you repeatedly with what I've learned about the 4th Gen's over the 20 + years I've been intrigued by them. But you don't appear to appreciate my efforts, so I'll let someone else with more credibility in your mind step in and take over.

Good luck.
Not sure how u got that from me or how I ever discredited your knowledge since you have helped me in past situations but if that's how u took something I said My apologies.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Javi Fierros
Not sure how u got that from me or how I ever discredited your knowledge since you have helped me in past situations but if that's how u took something I said My apologies.
it's cool learning new things man just something I learned from what u wrote, I never knew that.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:33 PM

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about 4th Gen. Camaros and to my knowledge, SLP didn't do any Z28's that were available as a dealer option. Now just about all of their SS options (suspension, heads, cam, shifters, wheels, etc.) were available from their website once they started the SS conversions, so I suppose it's possible someone could have had the dealer install SLP parts before delivery on a Z28, but to my knowledge, there was no option to send a Z28 to SLP for any of their parts unless it was also going to be converted to an SS or already was an SS in the last few years of the 4th Gen.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Javi Fierros
Just wanted to know if there any Z28s with SLP package that weren't an SS.
No. All Z28s that went to SLP were destined to become SS Z28s or simply SS Camaros.