General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Tallest tire size on 4th gens

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 07:34 PM

Tallest tire size on 4th gens

So I just got 17x9.5 c7 stingrays for my 94 camaro. Im about to get tires real quick.
Whats the tallest tire that will fit the back. I saw 275 60r's for it. Whatever the tire, Ill be getting 275 wide.
Most threads talk about width but what about height for our cars.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Re: Tallest tire size on 4th gens

A 275/60-17 is a 30” tire, made mostly for light trucks and SUV's. I’ve run 28” slicks on my Formula (obviously only in the back), and they were tight, and they grew enough at 130 MPH trap speeds that I had to recenter the tires in the wheel wells to prevent them from rubbing the tread against the front edge of the fender opening. Those are bias ply tires, and a radial will not grow as much at high speeds. And maybe the fender openings on a Camaro would be more forgiving. I know when I went up to a slick slightly larger than 28”, I had to cut about an inch of the leading edge of the bumper cover.

The 10” wide 7.5” backspace drag wheels put the outer edge of the tire tread under the edge of the fender. If your 9.5” wheels have a huge offset, it might tuck the wheel/tire deeper in the wheel well, minimizing contact with the leading and trailing edge of the wheel opening.

Another data point on 30” wheels - buddy of mine was running 30.5” slicks on his 97 Camaro. Needed a body shop to enlarge the wheel openings to even get the wheels on the hubs.

Other issue with large diameter tires.... it is the same as swapping in a numerically lower rear axle ratio. If you have 3.42 gears for example, a 30” tire, compared to a stock 25.7” tire, would produce the same result as swapping in a 2.93 gear (if there was such a ratio). Not even sure if the PCM will accept a 30” diameter to correct the 14% speedometer/odometer error.

A 275/50-17 tire (28”) would make more sense, if anyone makes that size.

So far that's just the rear wheel issues. I doubt even a 28” tire will work in the front. On 30” tires it’s going to look like a jacked up 4X4, with the 2” of added ground clearance. And running 30” only on the rear and stock tire diameter on the front will give you a 2” rake (front of car lower than jacked up rear).

Or maybe I'm missing some advantage you see by going to 30” truck tires ???
Old 10-27-2017, 09:10 PM

Re: Tallest tire size on 4th gens

I didnt see an advantage. I just couldnt find a lot of 275/50/17 tires so I thought Id ask about what diameters fit on these things. I was just curious.
It will probably be getting 275/40r/17's all around.
But thank you as always. You answered my questions.