General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 11:10 PM
LT5

Sway bar?

So i know ive been posting alot about problems with my car, i finally have most of them fixed and im happy to report she will be track ready this summer! Until then i did remove the front sway bar and i noticed going around corners is....different....it is my daily, i don't give a rats *** about corners, think i should get an upgraded one or just leave it off for weight? I took brackets off to, will be driving to work and drag racing only. Need some advice on this cause im trying to make it light as possible but need it to stay straight! lol.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:02 PM

Post Re: Sway bar?

Originally Posted by LT5
So i know ive been posting alot about problems with my car, i finally have most of them fixed and im happy to report she will be track ready this summer! Until then i did remove the front sway bar and i noticed going around corners is....different....it is my daily, i don't give a rats *** about corners, think i should get an upgraded one or just leave it off for weight? I took brackets off to, will be driving to work and drag racing only. Need some advice on this cause im trying to make it light as possible but need it to stay straight! lol.
Okay, let me try to understand what you did. You actually REMOVED the front sway bar and there is nothing currently there? This is also a daily driver?!

I started a thread about my suspension set-up so I will relay to you what I learned from that thread. For drag racing you want a soft sway bar up front and a very stiff sway bar in the rear. THERE IS A PROBLEM! This set-up is not ideal for daily driving and will make for a harsh ride if not potentially dangerous when making turns and the very stiff rear being more susceptible to losing traction. The concept seems backwards but makes sense when at the track where a stiff rear won't allow rear movement during launches however for daily driving traction you need some flexibility for the tires to maintain traction during cornering and turns or else one tire is going to lift up off the ground and you lose traction.

Now, you removed your front sway bar for weight savings? Honestly, a few pounds, if that, is not worth removing sway control in the front, ESPECIALLY for a daily driver seeing track use. If you have your stock sway bar then put the thing back on, it will be soft enough to satisfy the equation for the drag strip. NOW, you can look into upgrading the rear sway-bar. I am using BMR sway bars at 25mm for the rear and 35mm for the front, however I was recommended to bump down the rear sway bar to 21mm or 22mm for optimal performance with the 35mm front, and it replicates the 1LE suspension offered for our cars. In your case a happy medium would be to use the 25mm rear sway bar on your car OR if you can work on the car at the strip, you can swap in an extremely stiff anti-roll rear sway bar designed for drag use! As I stated prior and was warned, you don't use these sway bars for daily driving!

One last thing and especially for the front sway bar, you are going to want to use polyurethane bushings! I hope this helps.