General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Swap questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 04:56 PM

Swap questions?

Ok I know what your thinking great another engine swap thread well please hear me out.
I just got my dream car minus a vital part the engine. So I have a 79' sbc 350 out of my buddies 84' Monte Carlo SS. The 350 was originally in a Scottsdale truck if that matters. So it doesn't get asked why not a LS or another LT I'm going with the 350 because its what I have and is currently putting down better numbers then a stock LT. I did a search and kept coming up with V6 Maros getting the swap but no V8's for obvious reason I'm sure. Well heres the question along with all my car info/plans

Car details:
95' Z28 V8 lt1
Automatic 4l80e
A/C

Plans:
Streetable weekend car drive to the track and home

Questions:

1. I was told that the Lt1 mounts will bolt to my 350 and the motor will bolt up True or False
2. 4l80e will bolt right up as well?
3. B&M Manual Valve body kit the tranny and I can rid myself of the ecm
4. I'll still have brakes just not ABS if I remove the ECM true or false
5. Speedo how do I get it to work with out the cars brain I'm told its electronic
6. Stock wiring harness can I keep it and just use the few wires I'll need with out the cars ECM?
7. Whats needed to get stock gauges to work with out the ECM

Any help/info is greatly appreciated I could really use a how to for Dummys swap guide on this if anyone has it. I only plan on using the heater and Power steering as well.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Partial response:

You can keep the PCM in the car to simply run the speedo. Beside the speedo, only the tach is run off the PCM. There is no interface to the PCM for the oil pressure, coolant temperature, fuel level of voltage gauges.

Alternatively on the speedo, you could probably get a unit from Dakota Digital to power the speedo directly from the VSS on the 4L80E. Must have been a real pain to shoehorn the 4L80E in place of the stock 4L60E. Since not many people are familiar with the 4L80E, you probably know more about it than anyone else. How are you running the 4L80E now - I don't think you can control it with a stock PCM. You must have a stand alone controller????

Fitting the standard Chevy distributor under the cowl is a problem. May take a pancake style distributor, if you don't want to delete the windshield wipers.

If you are running a carb on the 350, you have to reduce the fuel pressure.... stock pressure on the regulated LT1 system is 43.5psi.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:38 AM

Oops typo on my part it has the 4L60 was talking to a buddy today about the swap and that was mentioned. As far as fuel pressure goes I've modified the tank already to rid myself of the LT1 fuel pump the 350 will be running off a mechanical Edelbrock unit.