General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Strange options

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:25 PM

Strange options

I was pondering the fact that I ended up with 2 hardtop, crank-windowed Z28's in a row, and decided to start a thread to see what strangely-optioned 4th gens you guys have seen/owned. I'll start by mentioning my friend's (now totaled) 97 Z. It was a purple, M6 hardtop with full leather interior... and crank windows. I'm just curious to see what other anomalies have been spotted. Maybe I shoulda posted in the lounge, but I figured I'd get more feedback over here.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by TD95Z
I was pondering the fact that I ended up with 2 hardtop, crank-windowed Z28's in a row, and decided to start a thread to see what strangely-optioned 4th gens you guys have seen/owned. I'll start by mentioning my friend's (now totaled) 97 Z. It was a purple, M6 hardtop with full leather interior... and crank windows. I'm just curious to see what other anomalies have been spotted. Maybe I shoulda posted in the lounge, but I figured I'd get more feedback over here.
Interesting...because of you I just started another thread discussing my extreme dislike of cheap options that are more of a pain than they're worth if I had my way my car would only have options that don't fail every other day. No power anything...except maybe a convertible top. But I would have leather because its nice, but not a high maintainence cheaply made moving part that will wear out every year. I'd also have a nice stereo system with the wheel controls....ac.....and an alarm. Thats it. Of course I'd have all the performance options As it is my formula has all the options, and I hate every g!@d#$n one of them (except the sound system wheel controls...those are nice ) And I've had to work on all of them already too at 85k miles I'd love options that worked.....but as it is I think they just make a nice car that much less enjoyable, and more expensive/stressful to maintain
Old 06-14-2008, 11:13 PM

My motivation for the thread comes from the stories I've read on the factory ringers from the 60's, many of which were discussed in High Performance Pontiac. I've always liked hearing about cars that were special-ordered for race use or that were built "off the books" by a group of enthusiasts within the GM ranks. Since my current Z's already a stripper, I decided to go for the whole 1960's stripper race car theme for this particular car. Hence the radio delete (which is an actual GM part for the 97-02 Z's that I modified for the 95). I know it's no ZL1 supercar, but I like the nostalgic racer theme. I have to say though, leaning over to crank the passenger window kinda blows, and you have to REALLY like the sound of your exhaust to drive around without a radio.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by TD95Z
My motivation for the thread comes from the stories I've read on the factory ringers from the 60's, many of which were discussed in High Performance Pontiac. I've always liked hearing about cars that were special-ordered for race use or that were built "off the books" by a group of enthusiasts within the GM ranks. Since my current Z's already a stripper, I decided to go for the whole 1960's stripper race car theme for this particular car. Hence the radio delete (which is an actual GM part for the 97-02 Z's that I modified for the 95). I know it's no ZL1 supercar, but I like the nostalgic racer theme. I have to say though, leaning over to crank the passenger window kinda blows, and you have to REALLY like the sound of your exhaust to drive around without a radio.
IMO your one lucky bastid I never use my passenger window because its dying, so I'm saving its last bit of life for my passengers Same with the door/hatch locks.....work fine now, but I still use the keys as much as possible to cut down on replacement intervals. I don't carry a lot of passengers, so the passenger side stuff rarely gets used. Keep my drivers window down instead of using ac (which I've already had to work on) to keep ac repairs down. Only gets used when my wifes with me Have yet another new power antenna to install...might even stick it in someday.......maybe. Believe me I'd MUCH rather reach over to roll a window down than pull a door panel a year to put in new window motors....door locks ect.

BTW I really like your idea of a performance stripper By the time you strip a TA down to Formula fighting weight, PLUS drop the extra weight of all the extra options, including all the ac stuff, you've made a BIG reduction in weight....and we all know less weight=more performance. And I believe a Z starts out at formula weight...so on brother! There's a ratio somewhere that breaks down the weight lost equalling hp gained. Pretty interesting stuff. Plus I'm a simple guy, that likes simple dependable equipment that runs like hell
I'm surrounded by too much equipment, that needs too much work, with too little time, and too much interest in doing other things besides spending all my free time with a wrench in my hand In a way I'm kinda looking forward to electric vehicles...I'm hoping beyond hope they'll be ALOT less maintainence intensive than gas powered vehicles