General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Storing car for winter, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 10:18 PM

Storing car for winter, what to do?

So I'll be storing my car for winter shortly. What should I do to keep it safe for the next 3-4 months?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:25 PM

Re: Storing car for winter, what to do?

Since you don't know how old the fuel is, run it close to empty. (not too low to damage the fuel pump) Then refill it with from a brand name refiner. When you do, put stabilizer in the tank at the recommended rate. Be sure to drive it long enough to get the new fuel/ preservative mixture all through the system.

Change the oil. Get a solar trickle charger. You may want to fog the cylinders but that depends on the humidity in your area. Jack the car up so the tires are off the ground.

cover it and lock the door.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:51 PM

I'd start it at least every week and run it. I had no problems with mine just parking it and leaving it. I'd start mine once a month. But the opti did go from getting moisture inside from not running enough.

-Dustin-
Old 11-19-2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
Since you don't know how old the fuel is, run it close to empty. (not too low to damage the fuel pump) Then refill it with from a brand name refiner. When you do, put stabilizer in the tank at the recommended rate. Be sure to drive it long enough to get the new fuel/ preservative mixture all through the system.
agreed, and make sure your tank is FULL. the less open space in your tank, the less condensation you can get in there.

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
I'd start it at least every week and run it. I had no problems with mine just parking it and leaving it. I'd start mine once a month. But the opti did go from getting moisture inside from not running enough.

-Dustin-
he has a 97 w/ a vented opti, so moisture in the opti shouldnt be a problem. When storing a car either dont start it AT ALL or start it weekly. both methods seem to work equally good. Just make sure if you go the starting method, you let it warm up COMPLETELY, your better off even letting it get a little hotter than normal on the temp guage than not hot enough. if you dont warm it up all the way you will just be adding to the condensation in your exhaust and oil - not good.