General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Steering wheel wear on manual cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 AM

Steering wheel wear on manual cars

When I got my car it had 30k on it, and the top half of the steering wheel was fairly worn out, so worn out that the rubber was not attached to the metal of the steering wheel anymore(I could rotate it a little) It even tore a little but I glued it. I know the car was probably driven fairly hard since it needed a new trans/waterpump when I got it. But does every m6 firebird tend to do this? It appears the owner always had his left hand at the top grasping it very hard. Then again the owner was fat as hell since he broke the seat.

It's not a question of are the miles legit, I belive they are since the pedals have no wear and the engine just sounds healthy (no slapping,looseness,lifter noise like my 107k LT1 sounded like)
Old 07-20-2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jazsun
When I got my car it had 30k on it, and the top half of the steering wheel was fairly worn out, so worn out that the rubber was not attached to the metal of the steering wheel anymore(I could rotate it a little) It even tore a little but I glued it. I know the car was probably driven fairly hard since it needed a new trans/waterpump when I got it. But does every m6 firebird tend to do this? It appears the owner always had his left hand at the top grasping it very hard. Then again the owner was fat as hell since he broke the seat.

It's not a question of are the miles legit, I belive they are since the pedals have no wear and the engine just sounds healthy (no slapping,looseness,lifter noise like my 107k LT1 sounded like)
I have never ever seen a steering wheel that was worn out in 30k miles.. I have never seen one torn up enough to need replacing or gluing in 150k miles.... just seems odd... Just never heard of that happening before. although i could be wrong. but still...
Old 07-20-2007, 10:54 AM

I know its odd, thats why I'm asking. The car was raced, so I thought maby the constant hard gripping of the top of the wheel would lead to this. That or the fat *** may have grabbed it every time he got in and out of the car. I can put a pic up latter.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:17 AM

Yeah, it sounds like your steering wheel was really thrashed during racing and was used getting in and out like you said.

My wheel is showing a little wear on the top (looks kind of rough/scratchy) but I'm guessing it could be from heat/sun. (my car has 135k on it)
Old 07-20-2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by plethaus
Yeah, it sounds like your steering wheel was really thrashed during racing and was used getting in and out like you said.

My wheel is showing a little wear on the top (looks kind of rough/scratchy) but I'm guessing it could be from heat/sun. (my car has 135k on it)
Mines worn to the point where it is smooth at the top and doesnt even have the same texture as the rest of the wheel.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:36 PM

My steering wheel isnt hardly worn at all. And my car has 117k on the clock.