General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

so should i just replace the opti?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 10:37 PM

so should i just replace the opti?

for the past month, i've had a high rpm miss (about 5000) and its been getting lower and lower, and now i can't go over 2000rpm without the car sputtering and backfiring. if i'm on the freeway, and i go over a slight hill the car will lose alot of speed and i have to keep giving it more gas to go the same speed. i have new wires, plugs, coil, and coil wire within about 1000 miles. before this started, i had a radiator hose crack open, and it douched the opti and the car died, but it ran well for a few weeks after that. is there anything else at all that could be causing my problems? i have no service engine soon lights. I NEED to get this car fixed like within a week because i'm selling it i just don't know what i'm going to do if i spend 350 bux on an opti and the problem is still there
Old 08-30-2004, 12:13 AM

Re: so should i just replace the opti?

Originally Posted by KeVMaN
for the past month, i've had a high rpm miss (about 5000) and its been getting lower and lower, and now i can't go over 2000rpm without the car sputtering and backfiring. if i'm on the freeway, and i go over a slight hill the car will lose alot of speed and i have to keep giving it more gas to go the same speed. i have new wires, plugs, coil, and coil wire within about 1000 miles. before this started, i had a radiator hose crack open, and it douched the opti and the car died, but it ran well for a few weeks after that. is there anything else at all that could be causing my problems? i have no service engine soon lights. I NEED to get this car fixed like within a week because i'm selling it i just don't know what i'm going to do if i spend 350 bux on an opti and the problem is still there
Do the cheap things first. You could have a plugged fuel filter or a bad ignition control module. replace the filter, check fuel pressure. If that is all good, replace the ICM. Still no luck, it's time for a new opti.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:55 AM

Arrow Re: so should i just replace the opti?

I replaced the cap & rotor 2 years ago for around $150 and I've had absolutly no problems since. Except for limp home mode caused by heavy rains.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by TABAHR
Do the cheap things first. You could have a plugged fuel filter or a bad ignition control module. replace the filter, check fuel pressure. If that is all good, replace the ICM. Still no luck, it's time for a new opti.
fuel filter is less than a month old. how much is the icm? anyway to see if it's bad?
Old 08-30-2004, 08:11 PM

any other suggestions peeps? i have a used (like 25K) opti coming. hopefully it still works alright. if it at least changes or makes the problem a little better i'll know that thats it