General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Seeking opinions on new CAT back

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:16 AM

Seeking opinions on new CAT back

1995 Firebird with LT1 - currently have Corsa system behind Kooks long tubes. Engine is basically small block chevy motor with some tweaks.

Looking to replace with Flowmaster, Magnaflow or “door # 3” (suggestions welcome). Frankly the Corsa’s are too loud for my old ears after ~ 10 plus years. In addition, I am looking to gain an additional 0.5 to 1.0 inches of ground clearance. The Corsa at 5.0 inches deep currently has ~ 4.0 inches of ground clearance and is wearing a nice dent in the center section

Your thoughts?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Seeking opinions on new CAT back

If Corsa is too loud, Flowmaster and Magnaflow are going to be too loud too. They're at least as loud as Corsa.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more info than that.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Mufflex makes excellent catbacks, using either Flowmaster Race-Series mufflers or Spintech. The Spintech mufflers are very civilized compared to the Flowmaster. I had the Mufflex 4.0" catback with the Flowmaster single in/single out muffler, fairly loud, and a heavy/annoying resonance at 2,500 RPM. I rode in a newer 4th Gen (LS1) Camaro belonging to the owner of Mufflex, with the Spintech single in/dual out muffler, and it seemed fairly quiet for a "performance" system.

Mufflex does not make a 3" catback though, only 3.5" and 4.0". And the 4.0" is a tight squeeze over the axle. Can't rattle because it is firmly wedged between the body and the upper panhard rod support. The 4.0" is intended for 5-600+ HP setups. But the 3.5" would fit OK. Try and find an online sample of the Spintech sound. Mufflex used to have a sound sample online, but I couldn't find it.

And Mufflex is right in Trenton, NJ, so you could have it installed there.

https://www.mufflex-performance.com/

https://www.mufflex-performance.com/...gle-cat-system

4.0"/Flowmaster
Attached Thumbnails Seeking opinions on new CAT back-dcp03551.jpg  

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-19-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:10 PM

I feel the magnaflow is quiet at idle and mildly loud under load. I have mid length headers and no cats. Just cruising it is super quiet in the car then it roars at WOT.

Last edited by Midnight_Z; 09-19-2017 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Spelling