General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

security light staying on while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:37 AM

security light staying on while driving?

I have a 95Z28 with the stock TRW anti-theft system, and I have an after market python alarm and remote start. yesterday I noticed that my security light on my dash is coming on and staying on, and I'll look down later and it's turned off. The car starts fine, remote start is fine. now here is where it gets wierd, the GM key fob still works on the doors but doesn't activate the alarm system. but the python unit works the doors too as well as it's alarm. I haven't noticed anything else but the light coming on and off randomly. Any ideas?
Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 AM

I believe most add on security systems use a resistor bypass on the VATS. That connection might be coming loose as you are driving. If you don't know anything about the VATS, read here. As far as your aftermarket alarm, I can't help you there.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:23 PM

Sounds like you've had the after market security system installed for awhile and the factory light is just starting to come on.?. Correct? Does your ingition key have the chip in it?? I'm not sure on the models before 97. My 1998 Z started doing the same thing (security light remaining on). If you have the chip in your key I would say the decoder in the steering column is going bad and not fulling reading the code from your key. I drove with the light on in my car for about a month before finally the decoder completely stopped working and I was stranded (likely at home). Once the unit in the steering column goes your car will not start. The dealer replaced mine for under $100.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:26 PM

Either unplug the light in the dash, or have it shut off in the Computer
Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jay-mak
Sounds like you've had the after market security system installed for awhile and the factory light is just starting to come on.?. Correct? Does your ingition key have the chip in it?? I'm not sure on the models before 97. My 1998 Z started doing the same thing (security light remaining on). If you have the chip in your key I would say the decoder in the steering column is going bad and not fulling reading the code from your key. I drove with the light on in my car for about a month before finally the decoder completely stopped working and I was stranded (likely at home). Once the unit in the steering column goes your car will not start. The dealer replaced mine for under $100.
Yeah, the aftermarket system was in the car when I bought it over a year ago,and it has the key, I guess I need to take it to a shop asap, I was stranded for a while when I had my opti failure, and I'm not too interested in getting stranded again.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:01 AM

i don't know if my situation relates to this, but i'm having a problem with my blazer right now. i believe it HAD an aftermarket alarm replacing the factory one, but when i bought it it was all ripped out and i had no keyless entry. the security light had been coming on randomly with no other issues then it started staying on. once a few weeks ago i ran in a gas station to get a drink, came back out and it wouldn't start. after leaving the key on for 10 minutes it reset itself and started. now it seems everytime i go to start it i have the same problem. the shop says they see it a lot with GM cars, but they don't really know what the problem is. the key doesn't have a chip. so whatever my problem is could be the problem you're having. let me know if you figure it out
Old 05-09-2008, 04:05 AM

ok guys, get this the car stranded me for 5 mins tonight, so I kicked the panel that covers the column and the light hasn't come on since. which means I prolly have something loose under there. is that luck or what?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by badkarma95z
ok guys, get this the car stranded me for 5 mins tonight, so I kicked the panel that covers the column and the light hasn't come on since. which means I prolly have something loose under there. is that luck or what?
I'd get it fixed before you have to pay a big towing bill and the cost of repairs.