General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Replaced Pwr Window Motor - Goes up/down backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:53 AM

Replaced Pwr Window Motor - Goes up/down backwards?

I replaced the passenger side power window motor in my '97 SS the other day. This is the fourth power window motor swap I've done over the past 5-6 years, so I feel comfortable saying I know how do to it. I've referenced shoebox's guide a few times.

Anyways, I went to put one I had laying in my garage in the car, and after messing with it for a while I figured out the motor had the wrong gearing. I went and exchanged it at the autoparts store and put the new one in. I tested it before putting the door panel on and everything seemed fine. After putting it back together I went to roll down the window, and it didn't do anything. I pressed the window switch up, and the window rolled down. Basically it works perfectly fine, but the switch is opposite of what it should be. This is the case for the switch on the ds door and ps door, so it's not the switch. It has to be something with the motor.

It's my understanding that the motor is the same part # for the ds/ps door, so I assume that isn't a issue. Did I put it in wrong? Is there a possibility that the connection on the end of the motor was done wrong and could cause this? Any other tips/suggestions? I just want to make sure I have all the info I need for when I pull the door panel and fix it, as I'm a little mad about how long I've spend doing the motor swap due to the issue with the motor I had laying around having the wrong gear on it.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 AM

Turn the switch around!

No they are NOT the same PN. As they are a motor and gear box combined. But I don't believe you can install them on the wrong side. so if it fit it's probably correct. Sounds to me like the motor wires just got swapped.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:08 PM

There's only one GM PN for a window motor for 93-02 F-body, will work on either side.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
Turn the switch around!

No they are NOT the same PN. As they are a motor and gear box combined. But I don't believe you can install them on the wrong side. so if it fit it's probably correct. Sounds to me like the motor wires just got swapped.
Yes, they are the same p/n for both sides.

OP, sounds like the wiring of the motor is reversed (I guess inside the motor). Polarity reversal of the power and ground makes the motor reverse. There is no way you could have reversed the leads at the switch, but could it be possible the motor got plugged in upside down? You could always flip the leads to the motor, I suppose. Pretty weird deal.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:07 AM

Opps. GM clearly shows only one PN.
It is curious that all the aftermarket places show one part number but designate left and right side??
Old 06-08-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Yes, they are the same p/n for both sides.

OP, sounds like the wiring of the motor is reversed (I guess inside the motor). Polarity reversal of the power and ground makes the motor reverse. There is no way you could have reversed the leads at the switch, but could it be possible the motor got plugged in upside down? You could always flip the leads to the motor, I suppose. Pretty weird deal.
It's definitely possible that I connected it wrong if the connector will allow me too. I'll pull the motor here in the next week or so and check on that. Otherwise is my best bet just to go to the autoparts store I purchased it from (I have a lifetime warranty) and tell them the motor is wired up wrong and get an exchange?

I'm just pissed I didn't notice it was working opposite until I put the door panel on. I tested it but the door switch was just hanging there and I didn't look at which way was which.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 PM

It looks like the motor is simply wired wrong as shoebox said. I pulled the motor out of the door, and tested it to see which way the gears go, then plugged in a "good" motor and it rotated the gears the opposite direction, the correct direction. Unfortunately the "good" motor has the wrong teeth on the gear, so I went up to the autoparts store to exchange my motor and they didn't have any in stock. They've got one shipping for me and I can hopefully fix this tomorrow.