General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Replaced my fuel pump, now the freakin' gas gauge doesn't work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 07:15 PM

Replaced my fuel pump, now the freakin' gas gauge doesn't work.

Damnit Damnit Damnit.

Went through all the work of *not* cutting my trunk floorboard to get the fuel pump out and replace it with the racetronix plug n play kit, and now the damn fuel gauge isn't responding. Just filled the tank just in case it was very low, and it still reads empty.

The racetronix kit had a new harness from the pump to the connector below the fuel tank "cap" so I used that with its new connector. I pulled the purple wire out of the old harness and placed it into the new connector in the correct location (the empty slot, matched it up with the old one). Placed the new black spade connector in the same location as the old harness and put the fuel pump assembly back in. As far as I can tell the float was fine and all that.

What the hell could have gone wrong?

If I have to remove the fuel pump assembly again I'm cutting an access hole, I ain't going through this work twice.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:16 PM

Re: Replaced my fuel pump, now the freakin' gas gauge doesn't work.

Tested resistance at the connector leading from the tank at the purple/black wires and I get 0 ohms reading from the two wires. Looks like it's getting no signal, or the wire somehow got disconnected.. or some crap like that.

I'm so annoyed right now it hurts.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

I've had to mess with this myself a bit and noticed that it is pretty easy to not put it in just right and the float will get "hung up".

Also, don't put too much into the zero ohm thing. If the float is hung up/jammed in the down/empty position, that IS zero ohms.

I'll move this to the General Tech forum for ya too. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2005, 08:38 PM

I've dealt with worse gentleman, I replaced mine in the Trans Am a while back (Walbro/Granatelli 255), installed it without the factory GM box around the pump as it got damaged upon removal of the stock pump, gauge don't work, and I have to fill up every 100 miles or so because for whatever reason, it isn't pulling fuel from the lower half of the tank, and btw, we were VERY careful to install the float properly, obviously, something went wrong, lol!

I'm gonna go in and attempt a fix next week, and I'll probably cut a hole to avoid the day-long drama experienced last go-round.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Brent94Z
I've had to mess with this myself a bit and noticed that it is pretty easy to not put it in just right and the float will get "hung up".

i replaced my pump 3 seperate ocassions(bad pump from factory) never had that problem but i would say brent might be right
if u have to take it out again i bid u luck
Old 01-15-2005, 10:09 PM

I had this problem with mine, when I was putting the pump back in I somehow pulled the little plastic arm that clips to the float arm loose so the gauge would not move, I had to take the pump assembly back out and clip that little plastic arm back onto the float arm and it worked fine
Old 01-16-2005, 01:02 AM

this is why i suggest you cut a hole this time. I'm so glad i cut the hole in my trunk. After installed my fuel pump my gauge was only reading 1/2 tank and i had 3/4 when i started the install. It took me 10 mins to pull the pump back out and find out the pump was hanging up on the clear plastic tube coming out of the pump. I would of been very pissed if i would have had to drop the tank to fix that.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:20 AM

Don't feel like the lone ranger javier, I got the same problem as z95m6. My guage won't go past 1/2 full with a full tank after my racetronix install. The guage will go to empty as the the tank empties though so my float has to be hung up on something not allowing it to go past the half full position. I'm thinking about dropping the tank again, reinstall pump, fill tank with fuel, check for proper ohms at harness, if good siphon out gas and reinstall tank. What do you think- alittle overkill! I don't want to cut access hole because who knows maybe uncut camaro's will be worth more someday!!! I was in a hurry the first time so hopefully I learned something for the next time around.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Brent94Z

Also, don't put too much into the zero ohm thing. If the float is hung up/jammed in the down/empty position, that IS zero ohms.

Yep, the float goes in the tank in just one way, I had to use a long screw driver to lift the float when putting the fp in. Done fp on 2 cars already, both times it takes at least 30 minutes to get the fp back in. I even bought a mirror on a rod from autozone to see what I was dealing with. Also there is an easier way to cram the fp in with leaving the float stuck, whick means your gas gauge will not work. I don't think it's worth dropping the tank again to fix the problem
Old 01-17-2005, 10:15 AM

Okay, then exactly what is the key to installing the pump and having a working fuel gauge? I'm about to go midevil on cutting this thing and doing this asap. Also, how big a hole and exactly where? I don't wanna hack a 1' by 1' hole for instance in the trunk area all to find out I was off by 1/2", lol!

Anyone got photos or "better than haynes manual" guide to installing the bobber etc? Thanks!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:45 PM

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/photo14.html
Old 01-18-2005, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by KPZ-28
Don't feel like the lone ranger javier, I got the same problem as z95m6. My guage won't go past 1/2 full with a full tank after my racetronix install. The guage will go to empty as the the tank empties though so my float has to be hung up on something not allowing it to go past the half full position. I'm thinking about dropping the tank again, reinstall pump, fill tank with fuel, check for proper ohms at harness, if good siphon out gas and reinstall tank. What do you think- alittle overkill! I don't want to cut access hole because who knows maybe uncut camaro's will be worth more someday!!! I was in a hurry the first time so hopefully I learned something for the next time around.
People hacking up cars to change fuel pumps has become so widespread im going to start pulling up the carpet to inspect on potential cars i would like to buy.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by camaroz28racer2
People hacking up cars to change fuel pumps has become so widespread im going to start pulling up the carpet to inspect on potential cars i would like to buy.
I never wanted to do it to my car myself, but I'd be an idiot to pull my entire car apart again for something like a fuel pump. Besides, I'm keeping my car, so who cares... I could even have a piece of metal rewelded, sanded, and fiberglassed and noone would ever know

And to make matters worse, my car is doing the nostart problem again that started this whole project to begin with. But that's a whole 'nother post.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:26 AM

it may be worth more for me so i dont have the guilt of cutting it myself.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:52 PM

Thats stupid, most of these cars get modded in some sort of way. A mod that 90% of us do is SFC's and they are welded onto the body of our cars. Would you not buy a car with SFC's? Some cars even come in with built in hatches to get to the fuel pumps, why can't we do it. No one notices it.

Quick Reply: Replaced my fuel pump, now the freakin' gas gauge doesn't work.