General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Removing the Seat Belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 02:46 PM

Removing the Seat Belt

My idiot friend broke the plastic piece on the side of the drivers seat that holds the seat belt in place, like the little square thingy the belt goes through. Now, I'm sure I can get the piece at a junk yard for only a couple dollars, but I don't know how I'll be able to get the belt threaded through the new plastic piece. Its a solid piece, so you can't like slide the belt through it. You have to thread it through somehow, so I'm guessing I have to disconnect the belt some how. I'd assume at the bottom, but does it need any special tools or anything. Is this a project I can take on myself, because it does seem to be in an akward place down there, and I'm not sure I can even get in there with a wrench or anything.

Any hints of tips will probably be helpful.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:03 PM

Re: Removing the Seat Belt

The piece youre describing has an opening in it once it is removed. When removed you can spread it apart enough to slide the belt through it, but if you do want to remove the seat belt its just a really bit torx bit.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird
The piece youre describing has an opening in it once it is removed.
No it doesn't have an opening. 100% positive it doesn't, even when removed.

I'll take a picture of it later, my sister has my camera.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:15 PM

Mine are a solid piece - only the convertibles have the slot I believe. Just replace both with the convertible guides.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by lil_mikey69
No it doesn't have an opening. 100% positive it doesn't, even when removed.
i dunno then, I've had 3 4th gens (93,95,96) and on all of them it was held on by 2 screws. When those screws were removed, it would spread apart and you could slide it around the belt.

At any rate, just get the right size torx bit then and unbolt the belt, its about a 45 second job.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Administrator

The lower seat belt bolt is a T47 Torx.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Mine are a solid piece - only the convertibles have the slot I believe. Just replace both with the convertible guides.
Maybe I'll just look for that then, unless its really easy to get to that screw. I'll have to see how I can get past the plastic cover peice.

Any idea on how much that would be from a dealer if the junk yard turns up nothing?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:41 PM

I had the same problem when I bought my car, the kid that had it before me did a number on the interior and exterior. He had broken the passenger side seatbelt guide (what you were describing). What you do when you get a new seatbelt guide is:

1. Go to the bottom of the seatbelt by the floor. On one side should be a circular disc that looks a bit like the head of a screw.

2. Get a flathead screwdriver and find the small space under the disc where you can shove it in, and pry the disc out (carefully) without breaking any plastic pieces.

3. Where the disk was should be an exposed star-like shaped bolt. Get the appropriate socket extention (sorry i don't remember what the bolt or socket ext. was called, but mine was 3/4 i think) and get the bolt off.

4. The belt should now come out freely so you can stick it through the guide. Now follow the instructions backwards to re-install the belt.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
I had the same problem when I bought my car, the kid that had it before me did a number on the interior and exterior. He had broken the passenger side seatbelt guide (what you were describing). What you do when you get a new seatbelt guide is:

1. Go to the bottom of the seatbelt by the floor. On one side should be a circular disc that looks a bit like the head of a screw.

2. Get a flathead screwdriver and find the small space under the disc where you can shove it in, and pry the disc out (carefully) without breaking any plastic pieces.

3. Where the disk was should be an exposed star-like shaped bolt. Get the appropriate socket extention (sorry i don't remember what the bolt or socket ext. was called, but mine was 3/4 i think) and get the bolt off.

4. The belt should now come out freely so you can stick it through the guide. Now follow the instructions backwards to re-install the belt.
Thanks. Thats pretty much how I figured it would have to be done, but I wasn't exactly sure.

Any idea on the cost of a new seatbelt guide?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:35 AM

I got mine on E-Bay in my gen (93-97). There were about 4 of them, so I'm sure if you do ebay you'll find plenty in your camaro's gen. The prices were about $4 - $10, depending on how many bids. Got mine for $11, when I outbid someone, but even that was a little steep to me for a seatbelt guide, but I had to get it because all the others were taken. But remember, if there's only one selling, make sure you get the right one (passnger or driver side), but they usually sell them both together. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:40 AM

why noy just cut a slit with a dremel or something ?
Old 05-18-2005, 04:16 PM

Ordered one from the dealer today. It was like $6.95 so I just got it there. I was surprised it wasn't more.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by sabre81
why noy just cut a slit with a dremel or something ?
I guess you could. Seems kinda ghetto though.

It won't be hard to undo a screw to replace it though.