General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Rear ended this lady today (need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:37 PM

Rear ended this lady today (need advice)

not sure if this is correct forum??

Rear ended a lady today in my Z. Everyone alright, and I'm sure her car is covered by my insurance.

Front left corner.

Left front quarter panel is toast. Front "clip" is toast. Light bracket on Driver's side is toast. Lights on that side too... Very front corner of hood is turned over a little and paint cracked.. Not sure if anything "underneath" is damaged??

Only got "comprehensive" insurance coverage on it... not "collision"...

Questions:

Where is the best place to buy replacement parts? Junk Yard??? Never even been to one. (what a noob!!)

What am I looking at $ wise for what I've mentioned?

What else should I be looking for? (I've never done any serious R&R of body stuff... just minor bondo to other cars WAY back in the day)..

Any/All advice appreciated.

One big consolation. I was bumming, but it's my daughter's sixteenth birthday today, so that keeps it in perspective.

Thanks guys (and gals).

John T

Car is Arctic white... regardless, I guess I'm looking at paint too??? What will that run me?

If pictures would help, LMK and I'll see what I can do. thx again
Old 01-28-2008, 06:27 PM

You're looking at 2K for a bodyshop to do that, because they'll order all new parts, and paint everything. Good luck finding anything at a junkyard in your color too . I've been down this road, and it sucks.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 PM

Ebay has used bumpers, fenders, lights and on and on so try there. You might even find them painted to match of have the seller do it for an extra fee. If you have any structural damage that could be tricky. Maybe have a collision center give a free estimate so you will see what your up against. They usually want to remove certain parts for a better look so goodluck.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:46 PM

The big money is gonna be on if your frame is bent, which it probably is. You can definitely save yourself some cash if you remove, buy, and install parts yourself, but body straightening should be left to a shop. Paint is up to you. I'm sure you can find some body panels on these forums or ebay, then prime em and paint them yourself (if you feel up to it).

Moral of the story? ALWAYS have collision coverage .
Old 01-30-2008, 01:37 PM

shop around

You need to ask round for a good body shop. Most that deal with insurance companies can and will look for used parts. My sons have both been there. my local guy is very reasonable and will work with me if its not an insurance claim. The best place to start is ask your co-workers and friends to recommend someone they have have good work from, Especially car guys !
Old 01-30-2008, 02:19 PM

Yea

Samething thing happened to me, If you have the patience and tools, you should be able to do it for under 400 bucks. Heres a link of what my car looked like after i crashed. After i was done you couldnt even tell. If you want you can send me the pictures of it, and i could give u some advice.

http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=38954
Old 01-31-2008, 11:13 AM

There are plenty of 6 cylinders out there dude. Keep a look out in the junk yards the parts shouldnt be astronomical used and there are plenty of crashed z's.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:47 PM

how fast were going when you hit her?
The frame is going to be an issue, look at the frame rails.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:26 AM

Status

I was going about 3 mph... (about the speed one typically turns around ina cul-de-sac)

I took the LH fender and bumber cover off... Nothing significant damaged..

I will have to replace the bracked w/ 2 studs and a bolt hole that joins the bumper cover to the fender.

I've bought replacement "corner lights", and have a line on the bumper cover and fender from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB....cWAT.m240.lVI

BUT, I'm wondering:
1) If these parts are any good??
2) If I should get them prepainted by them
3) If I should get a spray gun etc myself (I have a compressor)
4) If I should get a cousin of a co-worker to paint them?

Again, any info/advice appreciated.

Thx

John
Old 02-03-2008, 10:57 PM

I don't know where you are located. But around here, there are several self service junk yards (AKA Pick-a-Part). Everytime I go, I see at least 10 3rd gens and 4th gens are just starting to arrive - including 98 up with the bigger brakes (just got mine this morning)
Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 AM

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. Body shops quoted me $1600-2400 for the repairs. Was able to get the parts for $800 total including a new front clip, bumper support w/foam, headlight mounting panel, headlight assembly and rocker panel from a place down in Miami called TA Creations. It's pretty much a f-body specific junkyard. They do ship so that might be an option for ya. Goodluck and keep an eye open, junk yards do come up with the parts sometime. Its usually hit or miss though.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 AM

Cousin of co-worker

is coming over to take a look this evening.

Said that he can get new bumber cover and driver fender for $140.

He wants to look at the mounting brackets and overall condition of the paint.

One thing he mentioned that I hadn't considered is that if one paints the bumber cover and fender and leaves it at that, there WILL be a noticable difference between them and the adjacent pieces (driver's door, for instance)... SO, he recommends "blending" into those.

He's going to quote me all three prices:
1) Paint the 2 new parts
2) Blend into adjacent parts
3) Fresh paint on whole car

Hope it works out. I'll post a follow-up.

Thx for all your feedback.

JT
Old 02-07-2008, 02:39 PM

if plan to paint the pieces yourself your going to need to practice and also get a buffer and da sander. Well you dont need the sander but it would make your job look better.
I worked in bodyshops in high school and college, i tried to paint several times(well if the shop i was at would let me) and i did horrible jobs. Its not a easy thing to pick up. So i would look into your buddy or see if you can do the prep and have a shop shoot them with color. Than you do the finish sanding and buffing. Both methods would save you some coin.
good luck
Old 02-12-2008, 07:43 PM

Cousin of co-worker dropped by yesterday...

Quoted me $2250 today... (yeah right)...It did include buffing the rear bumper cover and respraying the rear spoiler, but NO CHANCE I'd do it for that...

I bought the LH fender and bumper cover (painted) from ebay incl. shipping for $432 just now...

Started putting it back together earlier this evening... will have to stretch the headlight mounting brace back out about 1/4" in order to get the two bolts to go in smooth... Heck, I figure I can buy a winch or "come along" and still be ahead of the game.

I'll post pics once I'm done. (Hope the paint is "close enuf" match... should be better chance w/ "Arctic white" I figure... U9567)