General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Ram Air on Existing Hood or CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 11:04 AM

Ram Air on Existing Hood or CAI?

I already have the RKSport Competition Hood and am unsure if I should get the matching air intake kit or a K&N FIPK. My main concerns are performance and I don't want to block space required for future upgrades.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Lucas

Last edited by LucasZ; 09-02-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:16 PM

Re: Ram Air on Existing Hood or CAI?

well i have the k&n fipk cai for sale i make me an offer if you decide to go that way
Old 09-02-2004, 03:34 PM

A couple of thoughts on this. One, is that this hood does not function as a true ram air hood due to it's design. It does make a fairly good CAI, though, but due to the 180* turn required of the air it is not quite as good as the K&N FIPK. So if your primary concern is performance go with the FIPK.
Two, is that this hood isn't that bad and makes an excellent deep water intake. So if you live in an area that floods a lot?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:59 PM

I live in AZ. We get monsoon season for about a month and there is some minor flooding in the streets at times. I don't think it's serious enough to avoid the FIPK though.

To the guy selling the FIPK, is this kit the one you have?

-Lucas
Old 09-02-2004, 04:16 PM

I always thought it was silly to get a ramair hood and then not make it functional.

It will make a fine cold air intake, hook it up!
Old 09-02-2004, 04:54 PM

yes that is the one i have for sale
Old 09-02-2004, 05:21 PM

The CAI will give more HP than that SS RA intake. The heat-soak from sitting on-top of the intake negates the "Cold" part of the Cold-Air-Intake.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:48 PM

Tracy, I only had to pay the difference from OEM hood to aftermarket after an accident. I took advantage of the opportunity figuring even if I didn't get the Ram air and went with the FIPK, the beefier appearance of the scoop. If I remember correctly, I paid $300 out of pocket.

Here's the pictures I took after getting my baby back. You'll notice I also had them paint the nose all white.

-Lucas
Old 09-02-2004, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by LucasZ
Tracy, I only had to pay the difference from OEM hood to aftermarket after an accident. I took advantage of the opportunity figuring even if I didn't get the Ram air and went with the FIPK, the beefier appearance of the scoop. If I remember correctly, I paid $300 out of pocket.

Here's the pictures I took after getting my baby back. You'll notice I also had them paint the nose all white.

-Lucas
I see. Good deal, great looking car! I'd still make in functional! Whatever you choose to do must be what YOU want, and what makes YOU happy!
Old 09-02-2004, 07:45 PM

I have Ram Air on my car with my SS hood. When i first got the hood i had a K&N CAI but traded for a Ram Air set up. I figured the amount of HP gained or loss would be minimal. I felt no seat of the pants diff between the two. Looking at my K&N CAI there is a very big Pinch in them right at the bend by the radiator. I think that bottle neck would be just as bad as anything on the SS setup. I wanted the Ram Air to have something different. Everyone has a CAI only people with hoods can have Ram Air. Plus i love my Ram Air Decals on my hood. The only down side i think to having the Ram Air is that most of the time you have to remove it to do any work on the engine. Not a big deal its only 2 bolts but it has to come off for everything. On the upside though its probably easier than putting the filter on a CAI set up. The damn CAI always moves up when you are doing it.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:47 PM

hey LucasZ
do you want this cai or what i have it posted on a few other forums and a few people are intrested let me know