General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

radio display & power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 AM

radio display & power window problem

This problem just came up this past week,sometimes the radio & display will turn off for no apparent reason & the power windows will also not work,then after anywhere from 15-60 secs it will come back on,also sometimes when I shut the motor down the radio & display will turn off,it's supposed to stay on till a door is opened.I've checked the fuses & they seem ok,besides I figure if it was a fuse it would turn off & stay off.
Anyone ??

Last edited by steelerfan; 05-27-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 05-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Administrator

May be a problem with the body control module (BCM). The BCM contains the circuitry that provides the "retained accessory power" to the radio and power windows.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:05 PM

Thanks,that sounds like it could very well be the problem.Where is that located & is it hard to get at.Not sure if I want to tackle this myself or have it done.When it turns on & off by itself it makes a sound like something like a switch or whatever turning on & off just under the dash between the steering column & windshield area,.Is that where the BCM is located ?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:12 PM

I have that very same problem with my '97Z, persistant for over a year, and always at the most inopportune times. I've found that if you cycle the door lock switch a couple of times the window and radio power is restored. I also suspect the BCM which is located under the dash on the transmission hump. Anyone know what a new BCM costs?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:08 PM

I thought it was located behind the radio in the 97+s?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by pcgamer4life
I thought it was located behind the radio in the 97+s?
It is, but it's actually below the radio where the transmission hump meets the firewall at the center. Slightly larger than a deck of cards. That's what I'm seeing on my car, and it seems to me that you have to be some kind of contortionest to replace it correctly.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:41 AM

Well,took my car to the Chevy dealership yesterday,they said it was the ignition switch,they replaced it & finished the job at quiting time,of course,I pay the cashier & go to leave & the problem is still there ! To say I was a little mad would be putting it nicely ! To thier credit they did offer me a free rental & promised to take care of it on Monday.Their words "don't worry,we'll take care of it,we're really sorry".I'm hoping that means at no further cost to me because thaty is usually theit policy there,although I know a BCM replacement costs a lot more than I payed for the repair.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by likittysplit
I have that very same problem with my '97Z, persistant for over a year, and always at the most inopportune times. I've found that if you cycle the door lock switch a couple of times the window and radio power is restored. I also suspect the BCM which is located under the dash on the transmission hump. Anyone know what a new BCM costs?
Thanks for the info.The BCM lists for around $ 285 !!! Plus around $ 100-150 to program & install it (so they said). I'm friends with the guys in parts so they told me they would only charge me $ 200 for the BCM if I have to pay for itmthey discounted the ignition switch as well.The guys in parts have always taken good care of me for years now,they're some good guys working there.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Not sure I understand the "some good guys working there" comment. They misdiagnosed the problem, installed the wrong part, didn't take the time to check and make sure it fixed the problem before giving you the car back. Now you indicate they are still charging you for the ignition switch, which in all liklihood you did not need, but they are nice guys because they are giving you a discount on a part you didn't need.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:14 AM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Not sure I understand the "some good guys working there" comment. They misdiagnosed the problem, installed the wrong part, didn't take the time to check and make sure it fixed the problem before giving you the car back. Now you indicate they are still charging you for the ignition switch, which in all liklihood you did not need, but they are nice guys because they are giving you a discount on a part you didn't need.
Absolutely not !!! I meant the guys in the parts dept,they have always taken care of me & helped me out with nice discounts on parts & advice on DIY repairs & repairs done in house whenever I need them.In fact the guys in parts were a little suprised that the mechanic said it was the ignition switch.The service dept on the other hand.........
Old 08-01-2008, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by steelerfan
Absolutely not !!! I meant the guys in the parts dept,they have always taken care of me & helped me out with nice discounts on parts & advice on DIY repairs & repairs done in house whenever I need them.In fact the guys in parts were a little suprised that the mechanic said it was the ignition switch.The service dept on the other hand.........
Soo did the nice guys fix the problem then? What was the outcome?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:14 AM

"Programming" the BCM requires you plug it in and turn the key on.
Sound like the service dept is making that sound like a big deal.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:46 AM

My car does the exact same thing. Sometimes it won't do it for 2 weeks and sometimes it does it like 30 times in 5 minutes. Usually hitting bumps affects it. So when it turns off I usually give it a solid hit on the dash right next to the right side of the radio and it all turns back on.

Daniel
Old 08-01-2008, 02:59 PM

Yes,problem is fixed,& there is some programing involved otherwise remote for door locks & alarm won't work.It was the BCM,the guys in parts priced it out at cost,saved me almost $100 there & no labor charges from the service dept & refund on the ignition switch,(only $25,but what the heck,$25 is $25right ?),so all in all,other than my time it came out to the same price if they got it right the 1st time,so I'm ok with that since it all works the way it's supposed to now.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by steelerfan
Yes,problem is fixed,& there is some programing involved otherwise remote for door locks & alarm won't work.It was the BCM,the guys in parts priced it out at cost,saved me almost $100 there & no labor charges from the service dept & refund on the ignition switch,(only $25,but what the heck,$25 is $25right ?),so all in all,other than my time it came out to the same price if they got it right the 1st time,so I'm ok with that since it all works the way it's supposed to now.
I'm curious, was it the BCM or the BCM harness that was bad? What did exactly did they say went wrong?

Quick Reply: radio display & power window problem