General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Question for Brent F. or experienced idv.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 10:51 AM

Question for Brent F. or experienced idv.

I am thinking of getting the 3.5" exhaust system with the 3.5" crossflow spintech muff single out hideaway. Or maybe the 4" system and 4" flowmaster race muff or Spintech single out hideaway since Tbryne mentions this is best for cars that have to be decible limited...that I will. But am not 400+ hp though.

My main question is with the 3.5" or 4" do you get the complete kit to the Y-pipe or do you have to get the 3" install kit somewhere to get to the 3.5-4" system? Be advised that I want to hookup to Pacesetter Y-pipe on a 94.

Do you get a reducer pipe or is the pipe reduced to accept the 3" Y-pipe? What needs to be done if not?

Where there any body/diff. to piping clearance issues you encountered with 4"?

I kinda just want to know what I'm getting into and what will be needed so I can pull this off w/ no hitches if anyone could help please do thanx.

Any recomendations on either to get 3.5 or 4" system.

T.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Well, some of what you are asking "just kinda depends"

When we put the 4" Mufflex no the 94Z, it went in like it was made just for that car. Zero problems (other than they sent the wrong pipe but a hack saw fixed that!). The 4" Mufflex for the 96SS was a bit more tricky and I've got a small rattle that I have to fix on it that is bugging me a little. But, still, overall, a fairly easy install.

Another thing we found is that both my systems were "older" systems in that they came with the large band clamps. Like pictured here. We actually like those much better and when using an impact wrench to tighten down on them, you can get them very tight and they won't leak. The newer style comes with a much smaller but more rigid clamp that does not conform to the pipe like the clamp pictured above. I personally don't like these newer ones as much but that is just personal preference.

In both cases above I had Hooker long tubes and bought the Mufflex y-pipe designed specifically for Hooker Long tubes and their 4" system. I'm not sure how well or what would be needed to connect up a 3.5" or 4" cat back to a Pace Setter y-pipe?

My buddy just bought a Mufflex 4" (installing it next weekend) and he has Pace Setter long tubes and their y-pipe. He was told the Mufflex 4" designed for dual cat cars was what he wanted. Can't tell you if they were correct because he hasn't received it yet

Actually, with the questions you have, your best bet is going to be to call Mufflex directly and ask them I've called them a couple times and they have been very helpful.

Good luck!