General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Question about "Security" light.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Question about "Security" light.

So I checked my key resistance and it's about 9500 ohms.

My security light has been on since I got the car but I never have had a problem with starting and have never been stranded.

When I sent my PCM in to be tuned I had the VATS disabled.

Here's the thing though... The light bugs the crap out of me, so I made a resistor that measures about 9500 ohms. I spliced it into the white wires as per shbox's website.

Now, the car will start and run fine with the connector disconnected. When I splice in the resistor I made, it still starts and runs fine but the light is still on.

I made a resistor that matched the resistance on my brother's 1999 Buick Century and when I disconnected the connector, the security light would flash and not start. When I put the resistor in, the car started and ran fine, but with my Camaro, nothing gets rid of the light but the car starts and runs fine with it connected, disconnected, and with the resistor in.

How can I get this stupid light to shut off without pulling the bulb from the back?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Re: Question about "Security" light.

I pulled the bulb on mine. You don't have it anymore anyway. I didn't program mine out, but the light stayed on. I had it not start one time way before the light started staying on. I hit the contact on both sides of the key with some sand paper and it worked fine then. I do also keep a the correct resistor for my car in the glove box, just in case. I need to go ahead and program the skip shift and VATS out of my car.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:20 AM

Re: Question about "Security" light.

this is the problem i am having, i guess search will be my friend. thank you guys.