General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Pricing for 96 SS's

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 04:04 PM

Pricing for 96 SS's

I am trying to change my insurance on my 96 Camaro SS to a "stated value" type of insurance. But, they want documentation of the value of the car. How would I go about getting the "true" value of the vehicle, and document it?

These 96's are pretty rare 2410, compared to other model years. Mine is #404.I know that I would never be able to replace it except in cash.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:09 PM

Re: Pricing for 96 SS's

Have it appraised and bring all that up to the appraiser.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:12 PM

Well, that would be cool, but I live in Walla Walla Washington, 5 1/2 hours east of Seattle, we have nobody here. Even the Statefarm agent is saying that their underwriters are saying 15k at the very most.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:17 PM

I think anything over 10k is pretty good. My buddy couldn't even get 10k out of his 97SS anniversary car with houndstooth interior. It had 80k on it with the motor just freshened up. I'd say the 97's are much more desirable because of the better interior and stuff.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:32 PM

You really need to get it appraised....drive to wherever it takes if you want the true value appraised....if the appraiser values the car at over $15K (which I highly doubt unless it has VERY low miles/mint) and State Farm will not use the appraised value for your insurance, then tell your agent to RIDE THE BOOT and find another company !
I don't know how State Farm is in your area, but in my area of the country I would not let them insure my push lawn-mower, let alone my Z28 !
They are notorious in my area for using aftermarket parts whenever available instead of Genuine GM, and also will use USED body parts when the car is over a certain age....my carrier uses only genuine GM parts, then aftermarket if unavailable, then used if GM/Aftermarket no longer available. I pay less than SF quoted me also !
Old 05-11-2006, 12:36 AM
sbs

Originally Posted by JStarr
I am trying to change my insurance on my 96 Camaro SS to a "stated value" type of insurance. But, they want documentation of the value of the car. How would I go about getting the "true" value of the vehicle, and document it?
If you have to go with an appraised value, then you might as well stick with a standard ACV policy. The appraisal is your ACV.

You also need to do some research on policy types, because "stated value" doesn't give you anything more than ACV.

What you are probably looking for is an "agreed value" policy. With an AV policy, you don't need an appraisal because you are buying insurance based on the AV. You want more coverage, you simply pay more for it.

p.s. wrong forum.