General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Power window troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 03:05 PM

Power window troubleshoot

I have a 2002 z28 and my driver side window is dead. No action from the switch. Here is the history. I replaced this window motor about 3 years ago. About a year ago, I was getting the intermittent radio cut off and no power in all of my windows due to my BCM. My passenger window motor was also having signs of replacement with the window stalling when trying to roll up. So two weeks ago I went ahead and replaced the passenger motor and also took out my BCM and repaired the solder connections that I read from a post. Everything worked great. No more radio cut off, and all my windows were working. Now suddenly, no warning, the driver side window won't power down. radio works, passenger window works, power locks work. I have a multimeter, and would like some guidance on trouble shooting.

How do I test the door switch and is there a way to supply power to the window motor so I can rule this out and determine that I probably hosed up my BCM in the repair. Can I do this without taking my door panel off?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Re: Power window troubleshoot

My guess is it's the motor, again. Everything else works, so I'd think that rules out the BCM.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:56 AM

There are schematics and pictures of the switch connectors on my website. Just jumper power and ground toward the motor at the switch connector to see if the motor operates. Reversing polarity makes it go up or down.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the info folks. I had a chance to go over the schematics provided by shoebox. I was able to test the switch and the power window switch connectors.

Using a multimeter, the connectors was giving me no voltage on the light blue (B) and tan (C) wires. This made sense to me given these were to the passenger window motor. Brown (F) wire was giving me 12v which appeared correct based on the schematic, but the dark blue (D) and gray (E) was initially at 11v then it went up to 22v. This made no sense to me, so I wanted to review the schematics some more.

I tested the continuity of the switch and although working, the driver side window power switch did seem to be worn, but working. I cleaned the connectors and called it a day due to rain.

My window was still dead, and I was thinking the motor and was going to test that on the next day. So I am driving the next day and I hear a high pitch whine. I turn off the radio. Still whining. Turn off my AC. Still whining. No clue where the sound is coming from. I touch my driver side switch, the whining stops and my window rolls down.

Not comfortable that it just sort of worked. I'll be keeping my eye on it, but will be ordering me a switch. Does anyone have the part number for the driver side switch handy for a 2002 Z28? Anyone know what that sound might be from? A bad ground?