General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Parking Brake Calipers not releasing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 10:27 PM

Unhappy Parking Brake Calipers not releasing?

Just changed the pads and rotors on the rear of my 94Z. Had to put a new caliper and bracket on the right side because slide pin broke off inside bracket. Now when I pull the parking brake the handle goes all the way straight up the first time then next few times it only goes about a quarter of the way up and feels really lose when putting down. When I check both calipers the are stuck shut and I have to pry the parking brake cable back out with a screwdriver. Meaning the spring is not pulling the cable back out to release the caliber. Then when I try the parking brake lever the same thing happens where it pulls straight up first then only about a 1/4 of the way the next few pulls. Then I check cable and it is hung up again and I have to pull on the cable by caliper to get it back out. Keeps happening over and over. Now I'm afraid to use parking brake because 1st time I did without knowing, parking brake was sticking I smelled smoke after driving for a mile. I sprayed lube on cables by calipers and by bracket above drive shaft but didn't help. Anyone know why they may be sticking shut. OH yeah I did screw up and squeezed the drivers side caliper open with a C clamp while the parking brake was up. Thanks if anyone can help me on this one I worked on it for hours today with no luck.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:01 PM

Re: Parking Brake Calipers not releasing?

When changing pads on the rear the caliper pistons have to be screwed back into the caliper. There is, of course, a special tool for this. But can be done with a pair of chanel locks, using care. Go back and make sure the pistons are fully seated. Should be level with the caliper face (the hole for the piston)and the piston rubber seal should be sticking up slightly above the piston face.
The emergency brake stays in adjustment by ratcheting out as the pads ware. This ratcheting mechanism is inside the piston and caliper.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:53 PM

How do I apply the chanel lock to the piston or capiler to screw the piston back in?

Trying to change the back pads to no avail...

thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 08:07 PM

I used a large C Clamp to push the piston back in.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:47 PM

-------EDIT-----------
Ok, lol, I got it. Nevermind. Thanks though
-------------------------------

Yeah I used a C clamp for the front, it was pretty obvious where to stick it, but not so for the back...

[img=http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3209/p9170045qi7.th.jpg]

Do I need a special tool to screw the piston back? Or if I somehow manage to get a grip on it can I force the thing in with a C clamp

Last edited by kastraelie; 09-18-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:53 PM

Yes the C clamp I used was large enough to put all the way to the back of the picston where it becomes cylinder like. I also kept the old pad in while pushing the caliber back.