General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Odometer data interpretation

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 11:54 AM

Odometer data interpretation

Hi everyone!

So believe it or not my electronic odometer screen went out in my gauge cluster of my '97. I've gone through and replaced all the gauge cluster lights with red and blue LEDs, so I know it isn't the backlighting.

I was thinking about using an Arduino board and a cheap LCD screen to custom make my own odometer. The cool thing about this is that the screen doesn't just have to display mileage, I can have it say whatever I want.

Anyways - I've heard that the odometer data is tied to the gauge cluster itself and to change that isn't possible. I was wondering if anyone knew where exactly the data was stored and how? My thinking being is I can pull the odometer count, since it should still be there without the actual display working, and then interpret and redisplay it on my own screen I can mount in the gauge cluster. This will also keep it updated in real time and stay accurate.

As a secondary thought, the circuit board's leads that go to the display should still be receiving power as if the display worked. If I can figure out which leads are responsible for what parts of the display, and thus which numbers, I could reroute that to my own display. Does anyone have an electrical diagram for the gauge cluster/odometer display?

Thanks! I can keep this thread updated with any progress I make, if any.

Last edited by Couchman; 11-07-2020 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Deleted initial idea, added 'secondary thought'