General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

nose color...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 11:41 AM

nose color...

I am sanding my bumper down to repaint it becuase the paint was chipping and looked bad. I am going to make it black again, but should I add a clearcoat to it or just leave it as the default semi-gloss? btw, that weird coloring is because I started sanding the top black layer off and there's a blue metallic layer underneth. This is what I've done so far:

Old 11-14-2004, 12:01 PM

Re: nose color...

Originally Posted by Metaldrgn
I am sanding my bumper down to repaint it becuase the paint was chipping and looked bad. I am going to make it black again, but should I add a clearcoat to it or just leave it as the default semi-gloss? btw, that weird coloring is because I started sanding the top black layer off and there's a blue metallic layer underneth. This is what I've done so far:

Save yourself a headache and use a chemical stripper instead of sandpaper. It will be easier and do a better job. Call your local body shop supply house, they will get you the proper stripper.

I would recommend finding a painter that is confident enough in his skills to paint match the nose to the rest of the car without any blending. Have it base coated and clear coated.

If you are really picky (like I am) about bug and stone marks on the new paint I would recommend getting a bra for highway use only. Whenever you do get a bug on the paint make sure you clean it off that day so the acid in the guts doesnt etch the paint.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:25 AM

If you are so concerned about a little acid in a bug, why would you ever put a bra on a car that is just going to rub holes in the paint?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Red96Lt1
If you are so concerned about a little acid in a bug, why would you ever put a bra on a car that is just going to rub holes in the paint?
If you keep the car and the bra clean, and only use it on the highway it won't rub off the paint.

People get into trouble with bras when they never remove them or clean under them.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:18 PM

my neighbor had a porsche 911 and i was over lookiing at it one day and saw it had like plastic on the front and he was telling me it was a new bra type thing from 3m. his friend put it on or something. you could barely notice it was there, i dont really know if it is something out there or if his friend made it from something else though.