General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

'NORMAL' header noises???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 11:40 AM

'NORMAL' header noises???

What is NORMAL w/ headers. I am a virgin header guy so I don't know what to expect. I installed my SLP LT & Catted Y kit on Saturday. I have the Borla Adj. cat back... Is there suppeosed to be any sounds comming from the front half of the car?? I have a slight hissing noise and what sounds like leaking headers, but it only does it when I gas it.. (going by what I have heard here) I rechecked the bolts and they are still at the proper TQ.

I am thinking about changing the catback when I get the $$. I will go w/ the GMMG. The Borla is insanley loud and raspy at WOT! But it's quiet at idle. I am looking for a more throaty sound.

Any sugestions or advise would help.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:43 AM

Re: 'NORMAL' header noises???

sounds pretty normal check for leaks
Old 06-01-2005, 11:46 AM

I let it idle and slowly juice it while I'm under the hood and I don't hear anything. It's just while I'm driving. I replaced all the AIR and EGR gaskets.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:18 PM

That "hissing" noise you get when giving the car some gas (i.e. accelerating) is completely normal with aftermarket headers...I agree, it kinda sounds like a "slight" exhaust leak, but it's not. Trust me, you'll know when you have leaky headers...

The SAME exact thing happened after I had some Kooks longtubes w/ catted Y installed on my '02 LS1 and MAC mid-lengths w/ highflow cat on my '95 LT1 that both run the GMMG cat-back system...

Mike
Old 06-01-2005, 12:37 PM
n2oblkz

I thought that I had a leak whenever I had my Hooker long tubes installed. It was my first set of headers and it does give a strange noise at part throttle while driving. Mine does the same thing and I have no leaks at all.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:04 PM

I'm starting to get used to the headers. I like the sound. That Borla functions quite well. When it needs the flow it just dumps it right out the pass side 'cut-out'... I can smoke 2nd now! Not doing that again. Tires get expensive. I try to keep it quiet at night.....COPS+LOUD EXH=Ticket...
Old 06-03-2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bayer-Z28
I'm starting to get used to the headers. I like the sound. That Borla functions quite well. When it needs the flow it just dumps it right out the pass side 'cut-out'... I can smoke 2nd now! Not doing that again. Tires get expensive. I try to keep it quiet at night.....COPS+LOUD EXH=Ticket...

I said screw the cops.
I installed my long tubes FLP, race pipe (no cats) and Loud mouth cat back.
It is freaking loud no matter what RPM you are at. I love it.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by keng
I said screw the cops.
I installed my long tubes FLP, race pipe (no cats) and Loud mouth cat back.
It is freaking loud no matter what RPM you are at. I love it.

haha im runnign slp shortys- off road pipe and loudmouth and love it- getting me in a lot of trouble though

but ya as stated above its normal and ull know when u have a leak- car will run like crap
Old 06-03-2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
I thought that I had a leak whenever I had my Hooker long tubes installed. It was my first set of headers and it does give a strange noise at part throttle while driving. Mine does the same thing and I have no leaks at all.
I got hookers too, but everything under the hood sounds normal to me.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:23 PM

Hissing is not normal. What you are describing is an exhaust leak. Mine was the same way. I couldn't get it to hiss when idling or revving, only when gassing it while driving.

Give it a week or so to build up carbon deposits, and then take one of the small extendable mirrors and look everywhere. Mine ended up being at the point where the 4 primaries met at the collector. (the inside area created by the primaries)

If it's more of a constant hiss, that's typically further downstream like near the Y-pipe, and if it's a hiss, hiss, hiss then it's closer to the primaries. Look everywhere though for the black carbon deposits that will show as streaks exiting the exaust leak. Do this without the car running.

Dan
Old 06-12-2005, 02:52 PM

It's a constatnt air noise at acceleration. I haven't been able to check in very ofetn. I'm back in Garmnay now and my computer shat the bed so I'm on another port now........anyway

I remember being in my buddy's Chevelle a WHYLE ago and his did the same thing. I think It's typical w/ headers. It's not loud but it just sounds like air flow. My uncle mentioned something about the plastic intake on the newer engines and said it's nrmal because you can hear the air flowing. I never heard it before the headers..

I was just curious. I didn't want to zap the band clamps down TOO much. I was paranoid of breaking a clamp and not having my car done in time.