General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

need help on 94z28 radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:50 AM

need help on 94z28 radio

hi there I have a 94 z28 that I got about 3 months ago and just got to the radio thing. the old owner swaped the old radio for a cheap new one and put in new speakers that he just stuck in the holes anyway none works. I picked up a factory delco loc 2 radio and put it in and rewired the speakers by the diagram but I noticed some bare wires when I hooked it up. it had a place it the back for the bose speaker it said but I did not try to hook it up. the radio comes on and goes to stations but no sound what am I doing wrong where do the bare wires go????? thanks for your help
Old 10-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Re: need help on 94z28 radio

Which radio system did the car come with from the factory? There was a base radio (RPO code UQ0) and a Delco-Bose option (UU8 - cassette; U1T - CD). RPO codes are on the service parts tag, in the glove box or on the end of the driver's door.

The schematics should be similar to these, courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/radio_schematic_1996.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/bose_wiring.jpg
Old 10-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Administrator

I see you already have this post on the "Car Audio and Electronics" forum. Please do not post the same topic on multiple forums.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:48 AM

Hi sorry about the delay.i posted the radio help question here first because I did a search and got to f body tech then found the link to audio and speakers. sorry about that so I was there yesterday watching the other forum waiting for a response .the radio is a uu8. the old owner did kinda a chop job on the system. he took out the old unit and stuck in a sony radio and replaced the speakers with regular type 6.5 speakers. I rewired the speakers and am installing a factory type delco radio from a 96 Camaro and I get no sound. I read somewhere about an ohm difference and that would cause it. what about the 2 bare wires from the wiring harness that went to the bose radio. what do I do with them? again sorry about the delay. thanks again
Old 10-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Are the wires totally "bare"? There are two bare "shield" wires for the Bose amp/speaker input wiring, and those are not required by the standard Delco radio.

The radio has two power inputs - one (orange) direct from the battery via fuse #7 for the station and security code memory, and one (yellow) from switched ignition fuse #17 required to power up the receiver/amp. Make sure you have 12V at both of those wires.

All this is shown in the two wiring diagrams I linked above.

You can't use any of the factory Bose speakers, because they have an internal amp, that requires a very low level input. The rear speakers in the standard system are 10 ohm, the front speakers in the standard system are 4 ohm. Make sure the antenna input is secure.

it had a place it the back for the Bose speaker it said but I did not try to hook it up.
Not sure what that means. There is a separate amp for the two rear speakers and the subwoofer in the Bose system. Is that what you bypassed?

Note also that the wires from the Delco-Bose head unit to the amp/amplified speakers are very light gage, since they are very low level signals, and the wires are not adequate for carrying amp output level signals that come out of the standard Delco unit. Should still produce sound though, just not good for high level output.

NOTE: There is some confusion on the content of the 1994 Bose system, compared to Shoebox's diagram for the 1995 Bose system. The 1994 factory manual indicates the Bose is a 3-speaker system, unless an optional speaker upgrade was ordered, but there is no info on the optional speakers. The 1995 diagram shows 5 speakers.

Last edited by Injuneer; 10-17-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:53 AM

hi. there no amps or anything just 4 speakers and the delco radio the back speaker is the subwolfer all the way in the back of the car on the driver side. the shielded bare wires you spoke about what do I do with them in the standard wiring setup. I wired it in a standard non- bose setup. thanks

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...yfp-t-901&fp=1
Old 10-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Since we can't be there to see what this looks like, let's focus on just one speaker for now, the left rear one behind the driver seat. It should have a brown and a yellow wire at the speaker and at the radio on the other end if this is a non-Bose wiring system. If the wires are some other colors, then you may have the Bose wiring. The UU8/U1T (Bose) radio is not designed to be used without the amplified speakers. What colors do you have at connector C3 (blue) of the radio and at the left rear speaker?

Last edited by GaryDoug; 10-17-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:53 AM

hey there, the large speaker in the left corner behind the rear seats has a red and green wire going to it. it do not thing it is factory because the other speakers the old owner had put is had the same color wiring .the left rear speaker behind the front seat has new wiring but connects to the non bose radio with a brown and a green wire with a white stripe. it as going to have a regular delco radio out of a 96 Camaro. it does not have bose written it.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Injuneer
There are two bare "shield" wires for the Bose amp/speaker input wiring, and those are not required by the standard Delco radio.

Originally Posted by dkred94z
. the shielded bare wires you spoke about what do I do with them in the standard wiring setup.
Since they are not required in the standard radio setup, you don't do anything with them. Just leave them unattached. They are used to shield the very low level Bose head unit output signals from RFI interference from the ignition system. You won't have that problem with the head unit/amp output signals from the Delco radio to the standard speakers.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:54 PM

Hi there I did leave them off but on the wiring harness that connects to the back of the radio I am missing the light gray for the left front speaker and the yellow for the left rear speaker, the( bare wires ) are in those positions. what should I do????? thanks alot
Old 10-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Your car had the Bose system. The Bose wiring harness is totally different than the wiring harness for the standard Delco system. Even if you find a few wires that are the right color, they are too small in elecrtical capacity. Then, the pinouts on connectors C1 and C3 are totally different, except for the power supply via pins 6, 7, 9 and 10 in C1. You have to look at the two diagrams I linked - one for the standard system, and one for the Bose system, to see the differences in the harnesses.

You have to replace the speaker wires with heavier gage wires than the Bose system used, and repin the connector. Or go to a junk yard and find the connector for the standard Delco radio, and cut if off leaving enough wire to make splices to your replacement speaker wires. If someone has already replaced or run new speaker wires, for a head unit that did not require amplified speakers like the Bose, you will have to identify the colors they used at each of the 4 speakers, and match them to the correct pins in the harness connectors at the radio.

In doing this, many of the wires in the Bose harness, including the bare shield wires, will simply not be used.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:12 PM

Hi there. If I replace the connection for the back of radio with 1 from a none bose car will I run short on wires since there is no light gray or yellow?I will still have to splice it into the existing wiring thanks
Old 10-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Administrator

The connector you remove from the non-Bose radio will have all the wires shown in the diagram for the non-Bose radio. You will not find matching wires in the existing harness, because the harness in your car is for a Bose radio. The wire colors are different in the Bose system, and the function of the wires is different. You have to run new wires from the junk yard harness connector wires to each of the speakers.

One more time - unless someone has already run wires to the existing (non-Bose/non-self amplified) speakers you can't just reuse an existing wire that happens to be the same color. You need new wiring to the speakers.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:33 PM

ok thanks... I have already run new speaker wires but to the bose connector. I will try and locate a non bose connecter in the next day or 2. thanks alot
Old 10-18-2015, 08:46 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Are you saying you have already run new speaker wires from each speaker to the back of the radio?

Quick Reply: need help on 94z28 radio