General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Need to drop the tank on my 2002 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:33 PM

Need to drop the tank on my 2002 Z28

Any links to help to do this?

How does one search this forum?

Al
Old 01-28-2008, 05:30 PM

Click search up there at the top of the page. Look for the trap door mod, it's easier and a lot quicker. Better make sure your pump is actually the problem first before you drop the tank too.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 PM

Don't do the trap door mod. It's not that hard to drop the tank. But I would definitely make sure it's the fuel pump first. Easy way to do it? Unbolt the shocks from the rear end, then SLOWLY drop it down and pull out the springs. Unbolt the brake line bracket from the chassis (gives you more room to drop the rear end) and drop the axle down as far as it will go. Then it's all a matter of angling the tank out. I did it myself after cyphoning the gas out, it's not that heavy. Took me a day and a half, and that was because I didn't know what I was doing and tried to pull the tank out without unbolting that brake bracket (the tank hits the panhard rod chassis mount).
Old 01-29-2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Craddock
Click search up there at the top of the page. Look for the trap door mod, it's easier and a lot quicker. Better make sure your pump is actually the problem first before you drop the tank too.
No way am I cutting anything on this car. It's the newest 2002 there is

I know about the search button, but it only searches for one word. Tried quote marks, no different??? I'm trying to narrow down the search results.

Al
Old 01-29-2008, 01:08 PM
01Z

Originally Posted by 460 Maverick
No way am I cutting anything on this car. It's the newest 2002 there is
Al
Good for you bro. Hacking a hole in the one piece floor pan; a structural component of the whole chassis that supports and strengthens the integrity for the entire car is ghetto. If I were to buy a nice car like yours and pull back the carpeting to find one of those "hatches", I'd be pissed. There's a right way to do things that's more work and takes longer to do. That hatchet deal isn't one of them unless the car is already rusted or beaten up.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:12 PM

Anyone have a link to exactly how to drop the fuel tank?

Al
Old 01-30-2008, 06:42 AM
01Z

See if this link helps.
http://boardreader.com/t/LS2_LS7_Eng...nk_712047.html
Old 01-30-2008, 07:19 AM
01Z

Al, I dropped my tank to install a hotwire kit. It's a filthy job because a layer of road dirt is covering the top of the tank but everything was straight forward. I'm sure you want pictures with nut and bolt sizes but I'll go from memory and describe what I did with the hotwire kit installation. The tank did not need to be removed completely but it was right to that point.
  • Raise and support the car on the chassis hard points with the axle hanging down. I put my car up about 2 feet and removed the wheels for light and access. You can separate the power and sender connector on the chassis brace at this time.
  • Disconnect the exhaust as it goes over the axle. Not easy unless you have good tools. This is one of the reason some people opt to cut the hole. I own an exhaust separator now....
  • Remove the panhard. I replaced mine with a real nice on-car adjustable from J&M at this time.
  • The heat shields need to come off. There are two of them attached by 8 or 10 small screws.
  • Open the fuel door and remove the screws that hold the splash cup in place. Take it out of the nacelle after you remove the gas cap.
  • Pull or push back the rubber inner fender flap and detach the filler hose bracket from the quarter panel brace; it's one bolt. Move the filler hose so the tank can come down without it catching on something. The hose is very flexible on these later models.
  • Place a jack, stand or whatever to support the tank as it comes down. An emptied tank is ideal but I did mine with half a tank. It was a bit of a struggle but draining for the LS1 isn't as easy as the LT1.
  • One bolt tucked high up front secures each tank strap and you have to loosen another bolt or two on the rear sliding portion of the strap. Move the interlocking pin to one side or the other and rotate the strap to detach it completely.
  • I rotated my tank, back side coming down first. You can disconnect wiring and hoses as the tank is lowered.

I hope someone else will describe the process as there are far better mechanics here than myself.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=01Z;5147986]Al, I dropped my tank to install a hotwire kit. It's a filthy job because a layer of road dirt is covering the top of the tank but everything was straight forward. I'm sure you want pictures with nut and bolt sizes but I'll go from memory and describe what I did with the hotwire kit installation. The tank did not need to be removed completely but it was right to that point.

QUOTE]

So you didn't remove the lower shock mounts and drop the axle? THis was on your 01? Found another description that says to drop the axle as low as possible??

I'm going to remove the fuel "tee" in front of the filter and try to figure out what happened to my "in tank" unit. Bought one off Craig's List for $40, and now I can figure out how to test mine.

Al