General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

LT1 gauges

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Banned

LT1 gauges

if i post this in the wrong spot please move it.

95 z28
anywho, i want to put the 3 gauges on the a-piller... trans temp,
oil temp, and fuel pressure. the gauges will be electranic. can anyone tell me whats all involved with exactly where to hook up the sensors? and how i get the gauges to work?

and also rear disk brakes on this car... pita? i have to do them tommarrow...
Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Each gauge will come with install instructions. I have the same three gauges (plus a couple others):

I put the temp sensor for the trans temp in the pan. You could also put it in a trans cooler line, using a "tee" spliced into the line. Some people use the pressure tap on the side of the trans, but that would probably throw the temp reading off, because it will be picking up the surrounding metal temp as well.

For the oil temp, I drilled and tapped the oil drain plug and screwed the sensor into it. You need a plug in the line, so you can disconnect the wire to pull the drain plug to drain the oil.

For the electronic fuel pressure, you have to attach the sensor to the Schrader valve on the back of the passenger side fuel rail. Best way to do it is to remove the valve core, use a -4AN 90-deg swivel fitting (NOS # 17535) to get the connection pointed away from the cowl, get a short -4AN braided S/S hose, -4AN female on one end, 1/8" NPT male on the other. Use a brass 1/8" NPT coupling to attach the sensor to the hose.

Wires can be run though the large rubber grommet in the firewall, behind the PCM. Or there is a location in the firewall under the brake booster that you can drill a hole from inside the car.

The gauges will have several wires. A ground for the light and a ground for the sensor side. Hook all the ground wires together and run a single heavier gauge ground wire to a good metal ground under the dash. Hook the gauge light +12V wires together and run a heavier gauge wire to either the fuse for the dash dimmer in the end of the dash panel, or one of the connections on the headlight switch, depending on whether you want to be able to dim the gauge lights.

The power for the gauges needs to come off a switched +12V power source. Again, hook all the +12V gauge power wires together, and run a single larger gauge wire to the fuse box on the end of the dash. Put a 1/4" female spade lug on the wire and push it over the spade lug in the fuse box labeled "IGN". That is switched +12V power.