General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

LS F-Body power steering cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:10 AM

LS F-Body power steering cooler question

My Camaro has a power steering cooler inserted in the top cooling hose. Does this circulate power steering fluid through it or does it allow coolant to circulate through the pump? Thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 09:58 PM

Re: LS F-Body power steering cooler question

Power steering fluid circulates through this cooler into a jacket around the engine coolant, it transfers heat into the engine coolant as it passes through.
Michael-
Old 10-11-2006, 09:53 AM

I know a number of other cars use a small radiator type cooler for the power steering. I asked the same question at LSTech and a guy their said that radiator coolant circulates through the pump jacket. How sure are you about the PS fluid flowing through the cooler? Thanks
Old 10-11-2006, 09:23 PM

I'm positive the PS fluid runs through a thin jacket of the part in the radiator hose. In fact that part is called the "power steering cooler." If you don't believe it, take off one of the hoses that comes from your pump to the cooler. Its only held on by a clamp so it'll be a simple procedure. I'll bet power steering fluid will come out of it. Who even told you otherwise was either messing with your or doesn't know jack.

Unfortunately I learned all about this when mine started leaking power steering fluid into my coolant. Now thanks to GM wanting to rape people for parts, I'm running an aftermarket heat sink design mounted elsewhere.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
How sure are you about the PS fluid flowing through the cooler? Thanks
Ummm......pretty sure, I bought a used power steering cooler on e-bay, and installed it myself!! LS1's came stock with these, LT1's did not, and the hydraulic steering fluid overheats and fails on road course track days! ;-)
-Michael
Old 11-30-2006, 11:56 AM

I ended up buying a used motorcycle oil cooler off ebay for $8 delivered. I cleaned it out and just need to get under the car now and find a good place to mount it.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by SilverStreek
Ummm......pretty sure, I bought a used power steering cooler on e-bay, and installed it myself!! LS1's came stock with these, LT1's did not, and the hydraulic steering fluid overheats and fails on road course track days! ;-)
-Michael
Not all LS1's came with them.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Not all LS1's came with them.
right....right, ok, read: these were only available from the factory on 1998
to 2002 f-bodies, not before. Not all f-bodies had these installed from the factory. I am sorry that my statement was confusing and misleading. Thanks for straightening me out.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:08 PM

Wrong...wrong, ok, read: These were only available from the factory on f-bodies from 98 up w/a package that came with 17" wheels and then on all V8 models from IIRC 99 up.

The LS1 models started in 98. Not all 98 f-bodies came with a power steering cooler thus my comment, "Not all LS1's came with them."
Old 12-03-2006, 11:49 PM

That is what I said.....thank you for agreeing with me!!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:40 AM

ps coolers came on all the SS', Ws.6's, and Firehawks from 98 or 99 on. They came in every v8 in 02.

Very neccesary in ls1 cars since they are creating may more output then needed, so they heat up. The LT1's ps fluid reservoir is mounted off the engine so it doesn't have as much of an overheating problem.

The design of the cooler basically has a thin double wall. The coolant passes though the big tunnel, and the ps fluid is pushed through a maze of small tubes in that double wall.

Supposedly it's a decent system but auto-x'ers still tend to cook their pumps. Mine failed and allowed coolant into the reservoir, taking out an alternator and basically making my life a living hell before I figured it out.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:38 AM

That is what I said.....thank you for agreeing with me!!
I wasn't agreeing. The Z28 and formula had 16" wheels. So the power steering cooler wasn't available even on all LS1 V8 f-bodies.

The way your statement reads is they were available on f-bodies as in all f-bodies from 98 up. If you put both your statements together you get all LS1 f-bodies from 98 up. Which is incorrect. It is more specific than that and not saying which one would lead someone to think that all Z28s or Formulas came with them when they didn't.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:11 PM

......Not all f-bodies had these installed from the factory......
That is what I said, nowhere did I say all LS1's had these, I only stated that it was available on the LS1, but not on the LT1......wow....good job of going off topic
Old 01-06-2007, 10:03 PM

Back on topic, P/S fluid goes through the cooler, no coolant flows to the pump.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:53 PM

That is what I said, nowhere did I say all LS1's had these, I only stated that it was available on the LS1, but not on the LT1......wow....good job of going off topic
When you just generally say, "LS1's came stock with these, LT1's did not." This gives the impression to people who do not know any better that ALL LS1's came with them. No you didn't say "ALL," but it is implied without specific details.

Why are you even worried about the topic when the thread is 4 months old and you are part of it going "off topic?" The fact still remains that you gave erronious information due to the lack of details or you didn't know the difference and you are just playing it up like you did. Stop ressurecting it already.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 01-06-2007 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: LS F-Body power steering cooler question