General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Low speed rumble under 1999 z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 04:51 AM

Low speed rumble under 1999 z28

Well this is my first post so I hope I am doing this correctly, I have bought a 1999 z28 3 months ago and have been fixing it up to my standard. I have only found small problems with this car it has none 68,000 Kms and in good condition.
I have noticed a low speed rumble under the car at around 10 to 15 Kms , a bit like the exhaust hitting the bottom of the car, but I have checked under the car and all looks clear and nothing was found to be loose ?.
Could it be in the gearbox (auto) or could it be a loose baffle in the muffler ?
I have got under the car and hit the muffler at the back of the car and found there could be such a problem, but the sound seems to be coming from the front I know sound can travel throughout the car. Has anyone had this noise ?

Regards Graeme In OZ
Old 05-28-2006, 01:07 PM

Re: Low speed rumble under 1999 z28

might just be a natural resonance. does it seem to speed up as you pick up speed?

is it in all gears at a specific speed?
Old 05-28-2006, 03:32 PM

No it goes away once I speed up, and I have only heard it at low speeds around 10 to 15 Kms Per Hr, but the noise or growl is like the exhaust or drive sharf rubbing on something. I have checked the exhast system (no probs to be seen) and will check the drive shaft tonight, but I dont think I will find the problem there. The noise is not heard in other gears only when im in 1st I guess and going slow in traffic is when I hear it, this is very annoying and causing me to lose more hair
Old 05-28-2006, 03:38 PM

check your brakes for rubbing backing plates, ect., and check you wheel/axle bearings for play
Old 05-30-2006, 07:17 AM

Well Im still on the trail of this noise and have taken onboard your thoughts, I had a look at the front brakes as you said and as they were over halfway down in thickness I changed them (still noise) but I did notice the passengers side Bushes showed some bad chewed rubber on one end ( O I should say the Drivers side as It has been converted to suit Astralian Standards ) this could be the sound as the ends touch metal on metal. Taking it to my mechanic this Thursday (OZ Time) to check it and arrange to have them all checked Front and Rear then replace them if needed.
I have read with intrest the amount of people complaining about the rattles in this car, mine is the same, I hope to get rid of some of them once these bushes are replaced. Any other thoughts on this ?
regards Graeme in OZ.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:18 AM

Well the car was checked today (taken this long due to mechanic had heaps to do before looking at mine ). He found the exhaust was tight as a drum very little play in it at all and this could be 80% of the problem. Now looking in this area, might need custom fit !!!! exhaust.
Graeme in OZ
anyone got any pics of some exhaust systems I could copy ?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:35 AM

O yes just a note the car is now Right hand drive !
Old 07-29-2006, 08:24 AM

HMMM Will have to hold back on any mods for a bit the Financial Adviser (wife) has pulled me up on any extras I want to spend on me car for a bit (BARRRRR!!!) Ya got to Love em but they just dont understand a mans needs sometimes
Had a win today with another problem (hand brake adjustment) see below :
Quote from another one of my Posts.

"I have been waiting for my Camaro 1998 Service Manuals to arrive after winning them on Ebay @ MONTHS AGO, my fault as I was to much of a skin flint to pay the extra cash for air mail.
But it was worth the wait, I have now found out that as of 1998 models the hand brake has changed, they now use a seperate shoe system which is self adjusting !!!. But there is an option to set the shoes to a clearence setting inside each rear wheel hub. This I had to do as mine was somewhat out of the recomended clearence ( can quote this if anyone needs it ) now all is ok will just have to take it for a drive tomorrow and check me brakes dont bind-up on the rear . It pays to have a real workshop manual, and not one of those cheap would-be type manuals (no names mentioned as legal repercussions could follow)
Regards all and smokem up.
Graeme In OZ. Damn I love this car !!!! "