General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Keep upgrading? Or move on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:28 PM

Keep upgrading? Or move on?

So here's the deal...

I've got a 96 Z with about 165k on it. It's my first sports car and I've really enjoyed learning about the vehicle while delving into all the possible upgrades I can do with it. I was never really a car person until I got my Z, and I'm still green as far as car-related matters go, but I've learned a ton (thanks in no small part to these very forums and my trusty Chilton service manual).

Unfortunately, the vast majority of my work on the car so far has been repairs. The AC compressor locked up last year, which was a major job. During a strut replacement recently the shop had to torch-cut my rusted-on strut mounts and replace them too. Also, there have been many other little nuisances (such as poor seals, sagging doors, lot of creaking in the frame, and a very rough ride above ~40 mph). For every upgrade I attempt, I seem to find something else that's going bad which sets me back. And being a college student, my budget is limited. I'm afraid too much will fail before I have the money to cover it.

So I'm wondering...

In your humble opinion, am I better off trying to find a more recent Z or SS with under 100k miles that's in better shape? Or should I keep my current model and just continue replacing aging or dying parts when they become an issue while doing upgrades as I can afford them and learn how to do them?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:02 AM

If you like your car and don't want to give it up, being on a budget and in school, i'd say get a beater...put your car away as far as daily duties go, and save as much as you as you can.

Otherwise, if you look around, people are practically giving LS1's away...i've seen them for 5-6k with under 100k miles, my buddy just picked one up for 5300 with 90k. If that kind of money is attainable without putting yourself in trouble, i'd go for an LS1.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM

I've got

a '95 w/ 90K miles on it... Got it from my old man 4? years ago (w/ 36k mies).

Anyway, I've slowly been "upgrading" stuff... doing "free mods"... etc..

Even tho the car has been garage kept and "babied" I continue to find little annoyances that I've got to tackle..

Most recent was a leaking axle seal when I was upgrading to SS brake lines.

I ended up replacing the seal and bearing on that side (and obviously the diff fluid etc)...

Moral is: I think you're always going to find small issues/problems w/ an out of warranty car. So, you either live w/ the problem, fix it or sell.

I'm close to the point of stopping upgrades... because my 16 YO daughter will be driving this thing soon.... (although a set of LT headers and ORY are calling as I type )

good luck w/ your ride.

JT
Old 06-17-2008, 03:29 PM

That's a very good point, JT. I've been looking around a bit as well and I'm finding that most LS1's in my area are in the 7-9k range, which is about half the KBB value of my LT1. I think I'll just keep this ride and address things as they come up. Maybe by the time it needs an engine rebuild I'll be making the big bucks.

Thanks all!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:40 PM

no sense in getting into more debt while trying to save money. id keep your current car and spend the money you save from keeping that on the car itself