General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Keep blowing dimmer fuse

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:08 PM

Keep blowing dimmer fuse

Hey guys, taking the battery out I hit the red cable against the a/c condensor, or whatever the a/c part is right next to the battery. Now when I take off the e-brakes and release the handle all the way down, the pinterior dash/dimmer lights go off. When I start to put the brake back on, the lights come on again. Also, if I turn the dome lights on, the dimmer fuse "5A" will blow out. Any ideas? What can I do? This is a 99 Z28 Camaro manual 6 speed...!!!
Old 09-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Re: Keep blowing dimmer fuse

Please do not post the same topic on multiple forums.

I'm going to delete the duplicate appended to a 14 year old thread in "Car Audio and Electronics". Then move this post to "General 67-02 F-Body Tech", where you are more likely to get help than here in "Advanced Tech".

You can download a copy of the 1999 factory service manual from here - I took a quick look at the circuits that could be involved with your problem, but couldn't see anything obvious. Seems like the current surge caused by shorting the + terminal to ground may have melted a couple wires together on the dimmer fuse circuits.

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-09-2017 at 03:26 PM.